55

The way Zane makes me feel was definitely different from my experience with Emilio. Perhaps it was the circumstances that we met under that made it so much more different. But no matter how differently I felt with Zane, I wasn't sure if it was anything compared to my feelings for Emilio. He meant so much more to me than Zane ever could and even in this moment alone, the distance between us being the smallest it has ever been, the thought of Emilio was still prominent in my mind.

And that's how I knew nothing could overtake the way I felt for that man.

But one other person also comes into mind... Danielle. I begin to connect the small dots and clues, gradually realising why she despises me as much as she does.

I was kept in the dark about the way Zane had felt towards me... But apparently she was fully aware. And that's what she hated. That it had to be me and not her that he felt for.

She may not think of me as a friend, but to me, by going ahead with this, it would be as if I were also betraying her...

So as he only leans in closer, I feel the sudden urge to push away. None of this felt like it would come without any consequences. And knowing Emilio was still fresh in my mind makes me want to slap myself for even considering it.

The push barely makes impact, him still firmly stood close in front of me. 'What's wrong?'

'I'm just fucking stupid.' I sigh, pushing Zane's arm off of me as I head for the door.

'Wait!' He shouts before catching up to me before I get a chance to grab the door. 'Tell me what I did.'

'You didn't do anything. I'm the one with the problem...' I turn to him with guilt-filled eyes, knowing he expected more from that encounter. 'It's late. You should get home.'

'Yeah, you're right... Sorry for keeping you so long.' He lets me go as my arm falls limp by my side.

'You can't drive home like this. I'll drop you off.' I offer but I knew it wasn't the best outcome for either of us right now.

'Don't worry about me, I'll find a way back home.' He laughs, probably trying to make light of the situation like usual... Something I took liking to about him.

'I'm not arguing with you on this one. Come on.' Now I was the one to hold onto his arm, leading him to the elevator within seconds before it opens wide.

'That was fast.' I shrug, stepping into the isolated space with Zane close behind.

'No one's here, what did you expect?' He rolls his eyes, leaning back against the mirror as he waits for us to make our quick journey down.

And within a matter of seconds we were down on the ground, both of us walking through the unlit rooms of the building, the blue-black sky being the only noticeable thing in sight. My hands rest lazily against my sides but more flexed than usual knowing Zane's eyes were on me from behind. The presence of Zane had never bothered me before or even made the slightest impact, but after hearing everything he had to say upstairs, I couldn't help but feel tense... Especially after how it all ended.

'We're here.' I point to my car only metres away, the two of us approaching either sides of the vehicle before getting in.

I start the engine with one turn of the key, the roaring sound being the only thing heard in the middle of our silence. But the last thing I expect right now was a conversation.