6

The hard chairs of the lecture hall make my back hurt every time I sit in them

The hard chairs of the lecture hall make my back hurt every time I sit in them. College was one of the most freeing times in my life, but being stuck in microbiology makes me rethink my choice to be here.

The fact that I would rather be at work, says something.

I sit for two hours as my professor lectures about the discoveries of Antonie van Leeuwenhoek. I try to take notes on my computer as a good student, but I end up watching the clock on the wall like it's a Netflix show. I've been falling back on my studies recently due to the amount I work at Chargers.

My grades are still just as good but I need to make sure I don't fall behind for finals in a couple of months.

The second semester of sophomore year has been the hardest for me. USC takes education in the medical field rather seriously, as any school should, and I want to be on top of my game so once I'm done with undergraduate school I can get accepted into the best medical schools in California.

"With the observations of bacteria and protozoa..." I could hear Professor Jackson in the back of my thoughts, "A fifteen hundred word page essay..."

That's what had snapped me out of my thoughts and back to paying attention. I leaned over to the girl next to me and whispered, "What's the essay on? Sorry, I blanked out."

"Don't ask me, babe, I blanked out too." She shrugged it off like it was nothing.

I chuckle under my breath, tucking my hair behind my ear. I turn to the blonde-haired guy on my right and ask him the same question.

"No that's okay," He says nicely, "He wants a fifteen hundred word paper on how bacteria and protozoans affect human life."

I internally groan, knowing that the effects of bacteria life are astronomical.

"Thank you so much, my brain didn't want to function today," I tell him in a low volume, not wanting to disrupt the rest of class. He smiles back and looks over my shoulder at my computer and sees the lack of notes I had taken all class. He subtly slides his journal that he had been writing in on my desk.

"Take a picture. It happens sometimes." He says, referring to the fact I had blanked out. I look at him with a bright smile. This kid was so nice.

I reach into my bag to grab my phone and I snap a quick picture, trying to be discreet about it.

"Woah. Thanks! I'll return the favor sometime." I say as I see a class being dismissed and we both gather our things.

"I'll hold you to that, Blake." He smirks and exits the classroom. I wonder how he knew my name. I shrugged it off and exited the class as well.

I made my way down the college hallway and turned the corner to head into one of the many courtyards of the University of Southern California. I had walked from the science department more into the Fine Arts buildings because it was a shortcut to my apartment. I didn't have any more school left today and I was ready to go home before I had work tonight. I wonder if Harry will be there...