Chapter Thirty-Four

"You think I didn't know that?" was Claude's response when I told him of my father's plan to kill him

"You think I didn't know that?" was Claude's response when I told him of my father's plan to kill him. He didn't even look up from the book he was reading, lounging leisurely on the couch in the hidden study room, his feet propped up in Kaz's lap.

"I mean..." I trailed off. This didn't worry him at all? Although, I supposed Claude always thought my father would be after his life. I was the only one who had refused to believe it. "You're not worried at all?

"I'd like to see him try to kill me," Claude continued, lips curving up into a smirk as if amused by the challenge.

I blinked at him.

"Are you worried for me?"

"I mean..." I trailed off. "Death threats are normally scary, aren't they?"

"I'm used to them," Claude said casually.

Kaz tensed up beside Claude but didn't appear too thrown off guard by our conversation. "How did you find this out, Cleo? Or rather, what makes you believe this is true?"

"My sister snuck on campus to tell me," I admitted.

Claude raised an eyebrow. "And she wasn't caught?"

I shook my head. "I guess not. At least not yet. I'm sure someone will come looking since the boundary was set off. Hopefully she'll be gone by then, though."

"Where is she now?" Kaz asked.

"Adora guided her back."

"What?"

"Adora volunteered to do it," I defended.

Kaz shoved Claude's legs off him, making Claude almost fall off the couch, and stood up, annoyance written across his face. "And you just let her go?"

I frowned at his reaction. "What? She's safe with Kieran."

"She's not safe with a vampire hunter," Kaz snapped back.

I stared at him, taken off guard by his hostility. "I'm a vampire hunter."

He hesitated a moment before lowering his gaze. "You're different."

"How so? We grew up the same. Kieran has never killed anyone either. She just needs to see the truth like I have—"

"Can you say that for sure?" he said, shoving his arms into his coat. When I didn't answer, he shook his head, letting out a small huff. "I'm going to find Adora. Claude, stay here."

Kaz bolted from the room, slamming the door behind him. I didn't move for a moment, shocked. Claude heaved a heavy sigh before heading toward the door as well, ignoring Kaz's order, gesturing for me to follow him.

I immediately fell into step behind Claude. How would Kaz even know where to find them? He didn't know which direction they went in. I couldn't blame Kaz for being worried, but did he really think I would let Adora go with Kieran if I thought Kieran would hurt her? Did he not trust my judgment?