Chapter Four

The next evening Elizabeth found herself at the opera with her aunt, she had always enjoyed the opera ever since she was young and was so excited the first time her brother had taken her.  The singing, the theatre and the drama of it all always brought warmth to her.

She had just walked back from the powder room to find her aunt when she bumped into Lady Bridgerton.

"Miss Priestly! How lovely it is to see you again" Lady Bridgerton smiled. "Oh, and you must meet my eldest daughter Daphne"

Next to Lady Bridgerton stood a girl of a similar age to Elizabeth and in height too. The girl could only be described as Bridgerton with the same chestnut hair as her brother Anthony. Not to mention the same bone structure and smile. Elizabeth had heard that all the Bridgerton's looked alike but until now she had never fully believed it.

"Lady Bridgerton, it was such a pleasure to meet you at my aunt's ball earlier this week. And It is likewise a pleasure to meet you Miss Bridgerton, I must say I am positively envious of your gown. That colour is beautiful" Elizabeth exclaimed motioning to Daphne's pale pink dress.

"ah why thank you, Miss Priestly! My mother has sung your praises and so has your aunt. It is as if I already know you" Daphne blushed.

"Elizabeth! Bridgerton!" Her aunt called from the top of the aisle of seats. "Do Join us"

Elizabeth turned around to fully face her aunt to see who 'us' was.  The Queen. Standing with her entourage and Lady Danbury. She had never met the Queen before and was late to the Ton so had missed the presentation to the Queen at the beginning of the season, Lady Danbury had mentioned she was friends with the Queen which, to be honest, did not surprise Elizabeth one bit as to why would the two most Frierson women in all of Ton be friends?

"Your Majesty" Lady graced as all three women curtseyed to Queen Charlotte. "You must remember my daughter, Daphne."

"Yes, she made quite an impression" The Queen nodded then turned to the small crowd of her people. "However, fleeting it may be" receiving a flurry of snorts from her ladies' maids.

Elizabeth could only feel sorry for Daphne who was now red as the Opera seats and flashed her a sympathetic smile. "Ah you must be Miss Priestly"

"Yes, your majesty" Elizabeth dipped in response and glanced at her aunt for guidance who subtly nodded in response to confirm she was acting in the correct manner.

"it is a shame I had not inspected you at the presentation for I am sure you would have been quite a sight"

"Thank you, your majesty." was the only thing Elizabeth could muster from the sheer nerves building in her stomach.

"Lady Danbury has kept me well informed of you throughout the years, I expect great things" And with that, The Queen strolled away.

Elizabeth shocked was unsure what to say or do, if The Queen had not completely snubbed Poor Daphne right in front of her eyes, she would have likely let out an undignified squeal of excitement. Instead, she remained silent.

"I would like to welcome you both to join my niece and I to my box this evening." Her Aunt countered the moment The Queen left. Lady Bridgerton took one look at her daughter and was about to decline when Lady Danbury did what she did best. Insisted.

Elizabeth no sooner found herself sitting next to Daphne in her aunt's box completely enchanted by the music while Lady Bridgerton and her aunt discussed Lady Whistledown.

"I may say that Whistledown has completely shattered The Queen's regard, Should her degradation know no bounds?" Lady Bridgerton whispered to Lady Danbury.

"Lady Whistledown writes about my family too, Yet I suppose the Duke can withstand such scrutiny since after all, he is a man." She sighed. "But it won't be long till she turns on Elizabeth too I have no doubt"

"They are both so grateful to have you there with growing, both children losing both parents and Elizabeth at such a young age" Lady Bridgerton shook her head. "Awful"

"The Duke is not what Whistledown write"

"Nor Daphne"

"It seems the two have that much in common then, and Elizabeth with The Viscount?" Lady Danbury smirked "Matches have certainly been made with fair less"

"what are you suggesting?" Lady Bridgerton smiled.

Lady Danbury smirked once again.