xxxvii. hot coco

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT ─── hot coco 

𝕾tasiaj Yahontov and apologies were two words that were not commonly used in the same sentence. She was the Snake of Ketterdam and rarely ever felt the need to tell someone that she was sorry for what she had done and no one had ever apologized for what they had done to her. In fact, as far as she knew, Stasiaj had only had apologies from two people (not including her vipers); Nikolai and Kaz.

This being the case, when Stasiaj was told 'I'm sorry' by Kaz Brekker, she struggled to work out how she was supposed to react and if she was supposed to be annoyed longer than the four days she had ignored him and the other Crows. The concept of someone being sorry for what they had done to her was so absurd, that Stasiaj felt the need to cry. 

Someone truly cared that they had hurt her and in that moment, all Stasiaj wanted to do was hug the man in front of her for being apologetic. Kaz noticed that she had stopped in the doorway, Malkus practically falling asleep by her hip, and his eyes softened.

He could see in her eyes the value that his apology meant to her, and though both of them knew that there was still lots to be talked about in terms of their relationship, they allowed themselves to place it aside and go back to being Kaz Brekker and Stasiaj Yahontov, without the added problems of Dirtyhands and Snake.

"You can put him in there," Kaz muttered, as Stasiaj shook herself from her thoughts and leant down to pick Malkus up, who had fallen asleep, resting against her leg. "I won't be in there tonight."

"Thank you," Stasiaj muttered, brushing past him and into the small bedroom as the scent of tobacco and smog wrapped around her, along with a hint of vanilla. She fought down a smile, finding that even if it wasn't the most pleasant of mixes, it was Kaz's scent. It was home.

The bed was ruffled, but barely slept in and Stasiaj pulled Malkus's shoes and jacket off, tucking him under the covers and placing his fangs on the bedside table. He immediately pulled the covers around him, only the top of his dark curls being visible over the top of the comforter. Stasiaj smiled, pressing a kiss to the boy's head and shaking her head.

She supposed she only had herself to blame for Malkus running to Kaz to get the pair to talk, and for lying to her face, and for sneaking out. She had taught him all those skills and it was only a matter of time before he used that against her.

"Thank you," Stasiaj murmured again, following Kaz out and towards the kitchen area. He couldn't tell whether she was thanking him for the apology or for giving Malkus somewhere to sleep. "Was that your room?"