{9} Solitude

{Aspen's POV}

I wake up the next morning to almost 50 messages from Edith. She really wasn't kidding when she said she would be constantly texting me. At this point I almost regret accepting the phone from Caspian. Glancing at the window, it's quite tempting to see if the phone can fly... but I quickly put those thoughts away knowing my brothers would have a fit.

Speaking of my brothers having a fit, Ambrose almost had a heart attack when he couldn't find me yesterday. I was in the garden for almost an hour. When I came back in the house, Ambrose was running around like a chicken with its head cut off. It was certainly amusing to see that side of him. It also made my heart happy to think he actually cares.

Getting out of bed is a task and a half with my leg feeling like it's being ripped apart. The cut isn't healing, it's clearly infected and I'm sure it needs stitches. My ribs aren't doing much better, still being purple and blue. I'm guessing some are broken from the constant pain and sensitivity. How I'm managing without painkillers is a mystery to me. The infection on my leg will soon get in my bloodstream, if it hasn't already. It will kill me. 

I'm not ready to die. 

I'm just starting to live. Life was hard when it was just mother and I, but we had each other, and that's all we needed. When she died, I died too. From going to being loved unconditionally to having someone beat me to a pulp on the daily killed a part of me. Living with my brothers now is a new start. I'm just starting to live again and I'm not ready to give that up.

I don't want to die.

I decide that I need to tell someone. Maybe my brothers, but also Caspian said I would have to see a doctor. Maybe I could try to tell the doctor and they could possibly give me something. I am well aware he would likely have to tell Caspian but I feel like it would be easier for him to find out that way. Easier for me, not having to actually face him. 

I clean my cut up to the best of my abilities before getting dressed in my mom jeans and white t-shirt.

Since we didn't end up shopping at a store yesterday, after Ambrose found me, he helped me shop online. We shopped for hours and spent thousands of dollars since I needed a full wardrobe. It was too much but Ambrose ignored me when I tried to stop him. He even paid extra so that it would be delivered today. 

I make my way downstairs to find the dinning room empty. It's strange because usually everyone would be eating by now. I go to the main kitchen and find an older lady cooking something over the stove. I remember Caspian told me they have a chef, this must be her.

"Raini?" I ask, remembering her name.

"Oh my" She turns around suddenly, dropping the wooden spoon in her hand. I realize that I scared her and feel a small wave of guilt wash over me.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mea-" I'm suddenly cut off by her rushing over to me and pulling me into a bone-crushing hug. I instantly tense at the physical contact. Not only that, but the pressure she's putting on my ribs sends incredible pain through my torso. She finally notices my tense posture and she pulls away, still holding me by my elbows.

"I'm sorry arbre, I just got so excited to see you. Your brothers have told me so much about you, I feel like I know you already." She says sincerely. (tree)

Raini has this motherly aura from the warmth in her eyes to the gentleness of her touch. She quite literally matches the description of 'wouldn't hurt a fly'. She reminds me so much of mother it brings me joy. I instantly feel comfortable with her and ease up.

"No, that's alright, you just surprised me that's all" I give her a smile.

"Oh cher I've been looking forward to meeting you." The bright smile she gives me melts my heart. (dear)