Chapter 27

All Souls arrived. The castle was transformed into a beacon for the city. All flocked to its gates to help decorate and cook large vats of delicious foods. Garlands of red and gold lined every floor and the uniforms of the castle sentries were polished to perfection. The Royal Guard stood watch as the city dwellers poured in from the gates that remained open today. It was under the cover of the flowing crowd that Dawn pulled open the wrought iron gate and descended the deserted steps of the Library. All the scholars had left, given the day to celebrate with their families. As she neared the stone statues she saw Astoria standing above the mandala.

She smiled as Dawn neared. The warmth from her wrapped around her as she stepped into the glow of her torch.

"What brings you to the Library today Dawn?"

"I need a way out."

Her smile grew before she gave her a small nod and pushed through the gate behind her. The chamber remained untouched, the wax of her candles had solidified against the top of the table she had claimed. Astoria guided her to the far wall void of any shelves. Running her fingers along the stones, she pushed against one. Slowly, each block depressed revealing an archway from which the sounds of flowing water greeted her. The faint aroma of river water that ran through the entire Library grew stronger as Astoria led her to a small embankment. A boat, anchored to a wooden stake bobbed in the water.

"This will lead me to the coast?"

Astoria nodded.

"The Library is ancient, and this river much older. It will take you where you need to go. Although, I warn you, it will test you. Not all make it out."

She turned back to the small boat. "I have been tested enough. I think I will be able to withstand a mere river."

Astoria chuckled. "This is no mere river, child. But I do believe that you will be able to withstand whatever it throws at you."

Without another word, Astoria turned and left. Dawn soon followed.

"Keep this passage open. I leave tonight."

Returning to her room, she donned her leathers under the gown one of the kitchen maids gave her. "This will look wonderful against your sun kissed skin," she had exclaimed and thrust the fabric in her hands. The skirt was loose enough that she was able to conceal the knives Luke had given her. Her sword would have to stay behind—until she needed it.

A knock sounded at the door. She unlatched the lock and met Luke. His hair was pushed back and his chest was covered with a fine shirt and blue vest. He wore new trousers that hugged his thighs and fell around a pair of polished boots. A thin chain hung around his neck, a small pendant hanging on the end. She tried to make out the design but he moved, extending his elbow toward her.

"My lady?"

She arched a brow but accepted his arm.

"All set?" He quietly asked as they passed a pair of castle sentries. He nodded to them but they ignored his acknowledgment.

"If by set you mean, do I know what I am doing?" She said, pausing as a group of young girls giggled as they passed them, "Then no."

She felt him chuckle, "Those are the best plans."

He pulled her back when they neared the door leading to the courtyard. "Whatever you need to do, do it. I am trusting you blindly but I expect an explanation after this is done. Everything that you know, you tell me. And everything I know, I will tell you."

She nodded.

There were torches with decorations draped throughout the courtyard. The red and gold of Ilaburn was everywhere, with banners hung from balconies and flags waving in the wind. The roaring lion of Arnoldus' house was painted in the centre of the clearing and a large banner hung from the balcony on which the King would appear.

The voices of happy attendees filled the area, but it was the guards who drew Dawn's attention. The golden armour of the Royal Guard was stationed at every entry and exit. And the balcony itself held four guards manning its access.

"Come. Let's get a drink."

Luke guided her to a table where a merry woman handed her a cup of wine. She sipped the red liquid as the courtyard filled with happy revellers.

The night was just beginning.

***

Gavin and Tal walked through the main gates of the alabaster castle. As they expected, the exterior wall was heavily guarded with a few given the task of making note of who entered the castle. A young guard fixed his gaze on her and looking at him through her lashes, she watched as he scowled but continued to follow her through the courtyard. Although the men of Ilaburn scorned her for her darker complexion, she seemed to interest them despite their bigoted opinions. She was thankful to have come across Hunter when she did. The thought of navigating this world without the friends she made was daunting. Thinking about her companions she glanced at the charming man that silently walked beside her. He had opened up to her, putting his demons on display for her. And when they kissed, a blast of emotions had struck her. Never had she expected a man to see her as a woman, to be cared and cherished. Of course, she had received the suggestive glances of men and sometimes the blunt invitations to their bed, but she saw love for her in his eyes.

Looking down she wound her fingers through his. He tensed, distracted by his inquisitive gaze that had been tracking the movements of castle guards. He looked down at her and she sent him a smile. He watched her with adorable confusion before he squeezed her hand in his and smiled in return. He placed her hand in the crook of his arm and guided her deeper into the crowd; she smiled at strangers and he laughed as children wished them a 'Happy All Souls'. They were a vision of a happy couple and when Gavin pulled her to join the dancing couples, a part of her began to forget that he was just playing a role. That instead they were this happy couple attending a ball and enjoying each other's company.

"What's on your mind?"

She shook her head, "I wish this was real."

Watching the confusion transform his face she laughed. "I wish we were together like this not for Hunt's plan but because we wanted to be."

Stepping away from the dancing couples, he guided her away from the revellers to one of the pillars wrapped in red and gold garlands.

"This is real, Talora. When I look at you, I see a beautiful woman who is enjoying my company as much as I enjoy hers. I live for your smiles and to hear your laugh is a blessing. I am tortured when I am away from you. The years that I spent thinking that all was lost, it was you that brought me back."

She could fell her eyes well with tears. Letting out a low chuckle she couldn't stop the smile that spread across her face.

"There's the smile I was talking about."

"You, Gavin, are a mystery." She firmly gripped his collar and rose to whisper the next words close to his ear. "And I can't wait to solve you."

His body shivered beneath her. Regaining his composure, she felt his hand on the small of her back as he pressed her closer to his towering form.

"Give it your best shot, Talora."

A/N Dawn is planning her escape, but Luke thinks she will finally tell him her secrets. Will Luke discover her plan before she can escape through the river or will she betray him and leave him in the dark?

Also how cute are Tal and Gavin! 🥰