Chapter Nineteen

~Jonah~

I hated being away from Emilia; especially at a time like this.

After I left her in the house, despite everything inside of me snarling against the idea, I ran out to see what was going on. Frankly, it was simply more of a chaotic situation than a deadly one from what I could see.

Not that it did not have the potential to be deadly. Fires had been set on trees around the clearing which surrounded Eric's pack in what looked like an attempt to stop anyone from running. As of now, the fires had not spread to anywhere they couldn't be stopped or cause serious damage to. So, I did not think anyone could have been seriously burnt despite us hearing screams earlier. Though the darkness of the night added such a contrast to the brightness of the burning lights and the chill of the night air, a difference to the wall of blazing heat which was sure to conjure terrifying images in the minds of those who had been suddenly surrounded by it.

Screams and snarls were ringing out through the air even now, but I could tell the definitive difference from those I had heard early. Both had been screams of shock and fear, but these screams now were of pure, unadulterated terror. The sounds so chilling they brought goosebumps to my skin even though I knew none of the shifters would be doing anything to cause harm to the town's humans unless absolutely necessary, despite everything currently happening. In my opinion, despite their supposed good standing with this pack, the terror in those screams was a testament to how they really felt about the shifters.

Running, I assessed everything around me. I made sure no one needed help before turning to search for Eric.

There were humans from both the plane crash and the town sitting around; some scattered throughout the clearing in front of the packhouse while others were sitting near each other and talking. Some shifters were standing guard near the town's humans and clearing, clearly not willing to leave them alone. Some shifters were helping the human doctor from the plane crash as he made rounds to help people. I could see some people had burns, probably from getting too close to the fire. I was not an expert on fires or burns but I did not see any which looked deadly, but for sure would leave scarring. Still, there were many other shifters out in the darkness, tracking and capturing people, and helping others.

I looked around trying to see how many of the plane survivors were still missing but I did not know them well enough to know who was missing. A thought which made me feel ashamed. I could not have helped it, though. Not really. I was a shifter who had found a mate when I had genuinely not thought it would happen. I was an alpha whose unclaimed mate was surrounded by shifters; and not even those of my own pack.

As I was leaving to find Eric, my mind went back to Emilia. She was basically the only constant on my mind since meeting her.

I could not recount the number of times I had looked for my mate before, only to be disappointed. Or the night's I ran my pack territory as a wolf, seeing all which my ancestors and I had built, and just knowing that I would have no one to share it with. The fear I faced daily about my future and that of the pack. We had all traveled so many times from place to place, just hoping that just one of us would find our mate. The only two times it had happened before, we knew each of us was simultaneously relieved and disappointed. Then the decision, despite the absolute disgust towards The Gathering and what it stood for, that we needed to expand our searches there. Even knowing that to do so would mean paying for our mate like she was an object if we were lucky enough to find her. Then I did.

That moment was one I would never forget.

The shifters who had been traveling with me and I walked into yet another auction. Having decided that we would visit just one more before heading back home for a break. Each of us is exhausted from endless running and mentally drained from endless let-downs. Then, amazingly, through the heavy stench of testosterone, sweat, and grime I smelled it. The natural scent was unique to everyone. Specifically, for a shifter, the scent was life, acceptance, and happening all rolled into one. My life had ceased to exist that day only to be immediately remade into a happier, better, and actual one. When I finally saw her, my whole world narrowed to where there was nothing but her and me. I felt happy, yes. But I also felt a peace and a purpose I had never felt before. At least, until the rage towards her treatment kicked in.