( 𝟎𝟒𝟗 ) claiming the prison

— NO ONE SPOKE ABOUT WHAT happened with Merle, the whole journey back to the prison

— NO ONE SPOKE ABOUT WHAT happened with Merle, the whole journey back to the prison. Zoe didn't push the Dixon's to talk, and the Dixon's didn't want to talk; Merle was dead, he had sacrificed himself for the group, for his brothers, for Zoe. He had finally gained his redemption, yet he wasn't alive to see the outcome of his decision. When they made it back to the prison, no one asked what had happened out there, it was clear on all of their faces, and the fact that Merle wasn't with them — Michonne made it back to the prison first, not taking it to heart what Rick had done, she understood where his mind was when he ordered Merle to deliver her to the Governor, he wanted to save his family, and she probably would have done the same thing if she had hers. Instead of talking about what had just gone down, the group began packing, getting their plan in action, making it look like they had moved out of the prison and ran, taking the easy way out — but little did the Governor and his small army know, they hadn't given up the prison, and a whole group of them would be waiting inside to take control.

Sending Carl and Hershel away with the baby and Beth, Zoe stuck by Nate's side in their assigned area, guns raised and hidden from plain sight as they watched The Governor and his men enter their home, a scowl on both of their faces at the sight, angry that they thought they could take it over and kill them all — they were smarter than that man was, and they all knew for a fact that this plan was going to work. The couple watched as the group entered the prison, but then within the next few minutes, all came running out like their life depended on it; Zoe sprung up along with Nate with their guns held high, "Get out of here!" Nate yelled out, as the two shot their bullets at the feet of the Governor's group, scaring them off. They carried on shooting, ducking every few seconds when one of their men would shoot back, before half of the group drove off, leaving the others.

And just like that, they were gone.

Zoe pulled the helmet off of her head as she watched them drive away, a smile spreading across her face when she saw that their plan had actually worked, "They're gone!" She cheered, pulling Nate in for a hug as he swung her round in happiness, knowing that they had won the first phase of taking back the prison. The two knew not to celebrate too early, as something else may come alone and ruin everything, but right now, it's all they had.

"For now." Nate told the girl, kissing the top of her head as he then motioned his own head for her to follow him, "C'mon, let's meet up with the others." He said, as the girl nodded eagerly, ready to see the others and be happy about this one outcome. The girl accepted Nate's hand as they both walked down the stairs and into the courtyard, where everyone else was gathering now that the coast was clear.

The prison looked like it had been through some trauma, with their trucks being left in the field and smoke in the sky, along with some walkers wandering in, but it was nothing they couldn't fix. "We did it." Rick announced, as everyone looked at the field, "We drove 'em out." He continued, as Zoe kept her grip on Nate's hand, the one of the only thing keeping her sane at the moment.