XXVIII - Endings

'I'm sorry Rory, but you just died.'

The Doctor's sombre voice echoed through the hotel room. The hotel room at Winter Quay- where the vortex manipulator had picked up Rory's signal. 'R. Williams' was stamped out in clear typed font on door 802. It wasn't as if there couldn't be another R. Williams in the whole of New York, especially fifty years before your Rory was even born, but before you even had chance to approach the situation rationally, the door had been thrown open. Amy had advanced cautiously into the room, closely followed by Rory and the rest of the group. Summoned over by the aged figure in the bed, she had recognised her husband immediately. He must've been about ninety years old, you guessed, and he spoke to Amy when she came in as if he hadn't seen her for as long. She took his hand gently and crouched at his bedside until you knew he was gone.

'This place is policed by Angels.' the Doctor continued after a moment of silence. 'Every time you try to escape, you get zapped back in time.'

'So this place belongs to the Angels? They built it?' Amy questions.

'Displacing someone back in time creates time energy, and that is what the Angels feed off.' the Doctor explains. 'Normally it's a one-off- a hit and run. If they could keep hold of their victims, feed off of their time energy again and again... This place is a farm. A battery farm. How many Angels in New York?'

'It's like they've taken over the whole city.' you say, glancing at the vortex manipulator.

'The Angels take Manhattan- because they can. They've never had a food source like this one. The city that never sleeps.'

'What was that?' asks Rory as a loud rumbling in the distance echoes in through the open window.

'I don't know.' the Doctor replies. 'But I think they're coming for you.'

'What does that mean? What is going to happen to me? What is physically going to happen?' Rory insists as the Doctor walks away from the window and places his head in his hands as he sits on a chair in the apartment.

'The Angels will come for you. They'll zap you back in time to this very spot, 30, 40 years ago. And you will live out the rest of your life in this room, until you die in that bed.'

'And will Amy be there?'

'No.'

'How do you know?' Amy chips in.

'Because he was so pleased to see you again.'

An uncomfortable blanket of tension falls over the room.

'Okay,' Rory starts. He smiles a bit, and you can tell he's trying to laugh through the pain of being told he's inevitably going to die alone. 'Well, they haven't taken me yet. What if I just run? What if I just get the hell out of here? Then that never happens.'

'It's already happened, Rory.' the Doctor snaps back. 'You've just witnessed your own future.'

'Doctor, he's right.' you say after pondering the situation for a second.

'No, he isn't.'

'If Rory got out, it would create a paradox.' The rumbling noise grows closer. 'This is the Angel's food source. The paradox poisons the well. It could kill them all. This whole place would literally un-happen.'

'It would be almost impossible.'

'Loving the 'almost'.'

'But to create a paradox like that takes almost unimaginable power.' the Doctor replies, raising his voice, and himself from the chair as he spoke. 'What have we got? Tell me, come on, what?'