32. Unwanted becomes the wanted

Nathaniel opened his jacket and threw it onto his bed. He was about to open his shirt as well when a knock at the door stopped him. He huffed in annoyance and reached for the door. "Yes?"

"Mr. Astor?" The one at the door inquired. He was carrying a heavy pile of books.

Nate nodded in response.

"Here. They've been sent by President Windsor." The guy handed over the pile to him. 

"Where's the bill?" he asked.

"Uh no. They have been paid for already. Just take it, man. They're killing my hands."

Nate accepted the books and closed the door with his feet. He checked them and found out that all of them were related to their healer training. He felt bad that Mr. Windsor was putting so much effort.

Had it been two years ago, he would have felt happy knowing that someone was rooting for him. A healer was what he had wanted to become since his childhood, along with being an Alpha. He had many plans for his pack. One of them being, making Pack Ziram the pack which produced as many academically skilled individual as the entire werewolf kingdom required. He had dreamt to fulfill this motive of his with his mate by his side as the rightful Luna of his pack.

But now, here he was. A mateless wolf, who had given up on his position as well as his dreams and motives. That is what the loss of mate does to a werewolf. That is what Persephone did to him. 

                                                                                **~~~**

Although Sean had finally decided to make Ariana realize his feelings towards her, he didn't intend to make her uncomfortable. So he tried to change the topic. "You know, I'm grateful that you and Nate will be there to help me navigate the werewolf world."

Ariana was still not over what had happened just some minutes before. However, on the mention of the werewolf world, her attention shifted pretty quickly. "We won't be there with you. We are never going back there." She answered harshly.

"Huh?" Sean was confused. 

"Yes. We have nothing to go back for. At least for me. Nate has his pack and family. But for me, I have thousand reasons not to go back."

"Why are you becoming a healer then?"

"We won't. Nate and I've planned to fail every subject. We shall just become doctors and live in human world only."

Sean took time to process everything. He then replied, "Oh... I totally understand." 

On the inside, his heart was bursting with joy. One of his major concern was Ariana going back to her world and being weak at the very first sight of her mate. Seeing her determination to stay away from her toxic family and Xavier, he was relieved. He swore to himself that he would always keep Ariana happy, unlike the people from her past. 

"Your phone's ringing." Ariana poked his arm.

"Oh..." He picked up the phone. "Yes, mom?" 

"Okay. I'll be home soon." He hung up.

Ariana understood what the conversation might have been about. "It's late. We should go now." She suggested.

"Right. Come I'll drop you to your room."

"No, no. It's fine. You go."

"If you say so. Goodnight, Ariana." He gave her a longing look as if he didn't want to part.

"Goodnight, Sean. Drive safe." Ariana smiled. 

Sean exited the library from its back door to walk towards parking spot whereas Ariana took the front door and started walking towards dormitory.