Chapter 3- Lunch

Chapter 3- Lunch
    Marinette, Alya, Nino, and Adrien arrived at the cafe in just a few minutes. They went to a booth in the corner and all sat down, Alya and Marinette on one side and Nino and Adrien on the other.
    "So," Nino said, "What is this important thing that you need our help with Alya?"
    Alya smiled excitedly, "Well I believe that drum roll please..."
    Nino drummed on the table.
    "That Chat Noir was at Adrien's party last night," Alya said.
    "... Alya, we know. We all saw him," Nino said.
    "No you misunderstand," she said, "I think he was there before, like as a guest."
    Adrien's eyes went wide. "What? Why do you think that?"
    "Well, I'm so glad you asked." Alya said, pulling out a notebook, "Ladybug and Chat Noir have undeniably great timing, specifically Ladybug, but on average it takes them 2 minutes and 43 seconds to get to a scene. This time it took less than a minute for them to get to the scene. This means one of 2 things, either they are literally following people from our school around cause so many of us get akumatized or one of the people at that party is Chat Noir!"
    "Damn," Nino said. "You really did your research huh?"
    "Well I don't want to have another 'Chloe is ladybug,' situation," Alya said.
    "Hold on a second," Adrien protested, "there were other superheroes who showed up at the party right? Carapace, Pegasus, Viperion, and that monkey dude. Couldn't one of them have been there and alerted Ladybug?"
    "Adrien no! Only Ladybug and Chat Noir have their miraculous full time, Ladybug has to give people the others so none of those people could have been it."
    Adrien raised an eyebrow at Alya suspiciously, "How on earth do you know that?"
    Alya's eyes went wide. She was Rena Rouge but she wasn't allowed to tell anyone, so it wasn't like she could explain that. Luckily Nino came to her rescue.
    "Dude you didn't hear? Alya got an interview with Carapace for the Ladyblog, she hasn't posted it yet but he told her then." Nino said and gave Alya a secret wink. Alya quickly mouthed back 'thank you' at Nino.
    Adiren nodded, "That's great Alya that will be a hit. Well I don't know if Chat Noir was at that party still but what do you need our help for?"
    "So glad you asked!" Alya exclaimed thrilled for the change of topic away from questions about her alter ego. "I wasn't at the party, and I wasn't part of planning it so I need you two to tell me, everyone, you remember being at the party. And then I'll work on narrowing it down." Alya explained.
    "Okay, well I think I have the rough draft for the party invites on my phone," Nino said, pulling out his phone and going to the notes app.
    "I'm going to go order what do y'all want?" Adrien asked.
    "Grilled cheese and tomato soup, and coffee with 2 sugars," Nino said.
    "I'll have the same, but I want a cinnamon latte with no sweeteners," Alya said.
    "Umm..." Marinette stuttered, "I don't know, I've never been here before."
    Alya's eyes lit up and winked at her, "no you haven't, you should go with Adrien to order. You can help him carry the food too."
    Marinette glared at Alya and said, "sounds like a plan."
    Adrien and Marinette headed toward the counter. Marinette looked at the menu and was trying to decide what to order when Adrien spoke and interrupted her thoughts.
    "Does Alya have any specific theories about who Chat Noir is?" Adrien asked her.
    Marinette laughed, "probably, but I think she's going for evidence this time. You know how she is, this lead will run dry and she will go onto the next one."
    "But she hasn't told you like... a name or anything?"
    Marinette shook her head, "no she hasn't told me anything like that."
    "Oh, okay." Adrien said, and after a pause, he asked, "do you have any theories?"
    "No, I don't. I think that if Chat Noir and Ladybug wanted people to know who they were they would tell us. They must have a very good reason for not telling anyone. Plus investigation has always been more of Alya's thing than mine. Do you? I mean, do you have any theories?" She was impressed with herself for speaking to Adrien that much without stuttering, but to be fair she wasn't looking at him when it happened.
    "No, I guess I don't. I agree with you, they probably want people to know but just can't tell anyone." Adrien said. "Do you know what you're going to get?"
    "Yeah, I do."
    Adrien and Marinette walked up to the counter.
    "Hello, welcome to Café d'Ivy, my name is Caroline. What can I get for you today?" Said the woman at the counter.
    "Hi, Caroline, can I get 2 orders of grilled cheese with tomato soup, one Croque Madame, a coffee with 2 sugars, a cinnamon latte, a chai tea, and whatever she wants," Adrien said pointing at Marinette.
    "Oh, that's not necessary Adrien, thank you though," Marinette said.
    "I insist!" Adrien replied, "really I've got it."
    "Okay if you're sure," Marinette said hesitantly then turned to the barista to order, "I would like a hibiscus tea and a Jambon-Beurre."
     Adrien paid and then stood over to the side to wait for the food to be ready.
    "Hibiscus tea?" Adrien asked. "I've never heard of it."
    Marinette blushed, "Yeah, well it's not everyone's cup of tea, or- er- I don't- I mean not everyone likes it but, I do. It's my favorite drink."
    "Cool," Adrien said as the woman put their drinks on the counter. They carried the drinks back to their table where Alya had a notebook with about two dozen names listed.
    "Hey guys," Alya said, "I need you to look over these names and tell me if anyone else was there okay? I need to make sure I have everyone on here before I start trying to eliminate people."
    Marinette and Adrien looked over the list and Marinette added that Luka had shown up and Adrien said that she might want to look into the catering service too since Chat Noir could be anyone. When the list was finished there were over 30 names.
    "Damn Alya, how do you plan to narrow this down?" Nino asked, looking over the list one more time.
    "I'm not really sure, I mean I know I can take anyone who is over 25 off the list since Ladybug is around our age and I don't think that Chat is a pervert."
    Marinette laughed, "Well at least not in that way."
    Adrien looked at her alarmed, "what is that supposed to mean?"
    "Nothing, never mind, so you don't think he is over twenty-five, anything else?" Marinette asked, partially curious for herself, while she knew that she shouldn't know Chats' identity, it was fun to speculate.
    "Well you know he's blonde," Nino said.
    "Not necessarily," Adrien chimed in. "I mean sure he could be but there are plenty of villains who look different. Why wouldn't it be the same way with heroes?"
    "I'm with Adrien on this one, sorry Nino," Alya said. "I mean the Evilstrator was fucking purple, and the Bubbler looked nothing like you."
    "Alright, fair enough." Nino said, "well what other criteria are there? Or are you planning on stalking everyone on the list?"
    "I wouldn't put it past her," Marinette muttered.
    Alya laughed, "no, not yet at least, I think I'll leave the stalking up to Marinette."
    "Oooooo, she exposed you!" Nino said laughing, "who are you stalking?"
    "No one!" Marinette said defensively. "Oh look, our food is ready, I should go get that!"
    "Saved by the bell!" Nino said as Marinette and Adrien went to go get their food. By the time they got back to the table, Alya and Nino had already moved onto a new topic. They ate their lunches and headed back to class, 10 minutes before the break ended.

Words- 1348