Chapter 15: Emotions are Messy

"I can't believe you, Ki!"

There was a loud crash as a rock embedded itself in the spot next to her head.

"You can't believe me? W-what about you?!"

She had been holding the tears in all day, and she had had enough.

"Don't start," there was clear anger in his eyes, "You always turn it on us. All we did was think of you first."

"Of me? or of the Avatar?"

"What difference does it make?"

She was taking deep breaths but it still felt hard to breathe as her cheeks became wet with tears.

"All the difference...all the difference to me."

She turned away and ran, she didn't want any of this and she was sick and tired of being a puppet to everyone around her. 

----

----

She had woken up on a cold bed with the only heat coming from her own body. 

Food, she thought as she lifted her feet to stand. 

She scratched the itch on her arm as she opened what they called a fridge. There were some things that were still new to her when they clearly hadn't happened or had been invented in her own world, but it was nothing some reading and investigation couldn't fix. 

With last night's dream still fresh on her mind, she helped herself to a warm bowl of bland rice that had been stocked by the shinobi that had so graciously offered the apartment in the first place.

She wasn't sure if what felt like a dream was a dream when it still felt so close to her own reality.

"Good mornin' neighbor," she said as the grey-haired shinobi showed up at her door a few hours later.

She had finished eating, showering, cleaning, and a myriad of other things before he came knocking on her door.

"Is it?"

He trudged inside the small room and headed towards the stiff couch. It wasn't comfortable, but as he closed his eyes and slouched, he seemed to fall asleep.

She couldn't deny that the thought of quickly finishing him in one blow hadn't crossed her mind in that vulnerable moment. To simply stop the blood flow to his head with one swift and painless bend.

"Wasn't I supposed to report to you? Not the other way around?"

She was looking out the window trying to sense the level of light as she sat next to the kitchen counter. The bright rays of sun reflecting off her eyes let her know it was nearing noon and the sun was coming to its highest point.

"I got a message...early this morning," he mumbled out.

She wasn't very comfortable with his presence or his current attitude at the moment, and she couldn't trust herself to maintain a calm facade forever.