Chapter 25, New Ways

November 25th, 2008

Aaron's POV 

    I wake up to the sunshine flashing me in my eyes, and someone laying across my chest. I smile knowing it's Cassie that's laying on me, it felt so right but wrong at the same time. It felt like I was moving on from Haley too fast, even though it felt right. I feel Cassie stir, and I quickly grab her to stop. If she would've continued, who knows what would've happened. "Cassie Mae, wake up." I say softly, hoping she'd wake up the easy way. I don't say a word for a moment, seeing if she'd wake up. She doesn't.

I give her another moment before trying again, and I take in all her features. She's just gorgeous, and I don't understand why I never gave her a shot. Why I never tried to find her. We made our way back to each other, after all these years. I shake her this time as I say, "Cassie, get off of me." I say it angrier than I intend, making Cassie jump. She got off the couch and looked at me like she's going to cry.

"Sorry, Aaron. I fell asleep hard. Did I hurt you?" She asks, always thinking of the other person before herself. She's single-handedly the most selfless person I know.

"No, no. I'm sorry Cass, I didn't mean to sound so angry. I just need to get ready for work." I say, getting up. Cassie starts to frown, and I know it's because she thinks I went back too early. Cassie has the next couple days off, because she wanted to make sure everything was set for the house and wanted to spend some quality time with Jack.

"You're fine. I'm going to get Jack up and ready for school then. Are you going to take him?" She asks, and I nod. Cassie won't even make eye contact at me, and I know it's because I frightened her. She's mad, even though she won't say it to my face.

I walk toward where she's standing a few feet away, and she moves away. This isn't like Cassie. "Cass-" I start, but she cuts me off.

"Aaron, it's fine. I need to wake up Jack if you're going to make it on time." She says, and walks away heading upstairs. What is up with her? Why'd she leave so suddenly?

I sigh, and make my way upstairs as well, heading for my room to shower and get ready for school. As I get to the top of the stairs I can hear Jack laughing. The classic tickle waking. Jack loves to pretend he's still sleeping after he wakes up and we tickle him "awake."

I walk into my room and head straight for the bathroom to shower. I want to know why Cassie

became so jumpy and so afraid. That's not like her, and she's never done that.

I quickly strip off my clothes and get into the shower. Letting the hot water cascade down my body, thinking of reasons that Cassie would flinch that hard. Was she abused? Is she a victim of domestic violence? Who would've done that to the sweetest girl on Earth? I put shampoo and lather it in my hair, and start scrubbing down my body.