18 Snake

***

Chapter 18

***

There's something about media companies being obsessed with extravagant parties. I don't know if the culture just attracts superficial tastes or if it's the norm. But I'd rather be in pajamas, eating pizza and watching Friends.

And not be at this palace-like restaurant with golden lanterns and chandeliers. Belly dancers in coin skirts dancing with snakes. Masseuses to melt the stress away, tarot card readers, and reiki gurus. Because why wouldn't you want to seek spiritual awareness at a networking event.

"Cheer up, grumpy pants." My 'sensei' - as he insists I call him that - reminds me for the tenth time.

The chaos on his head is tamed in soft waves. Their warm shades contrast against his blue button-down, which has two buttons undone, elongating his golden neck. His sleeves are rolled up around tan, defined forearms. A black watch hugs one of his thick wrists.

I'm in a black, knee-length dress that's off the shoulders. High heels strap around my ankles. Hair loosely pulled into a low bun with chandelier earrings.

I spot Grant near the catered arrangement of finger foods. The night is young, and I plan to make an impression.

"Where do you think you're going?" Lucas grabs my wrist as I head towards Grant.

"Uh, I'm going to snatch Grant and make sure I sit next to him." I lower my voice, making sure no one hears.

"And why would you do that?" 

"Do you have a better suggestion on how to optimize the next few hours?"

"Leave Grant alone, don't be a kiss-ass. You're here to mingle." He glances around the crowd, and I take the opportunity to linger on his stubbled jawline and smooth lips. "There's Gia over there, let's go talk to her."

"Who's Gia?"

"Are you fucking serious?"

I frown and follow his gaze, finding a redhead with a round face. "Wait, she looks familiar..."

"She did your fucking makeup last week for the beach shoot."

"Oh, yeah! With Derek and my husband." I giggle, before realizing what he just suggested. "Wait a second, what the hell am I supposed to talk to her about?"

"Don't worry, I'll be there to hold your hand." He mocks in a baby voice and places his palm on my lower back, leading the way.

Gia is by the dessert section with a small plate in her hand. She jumps in surprise when Lucas greets her, then breaks into a dashing smile. "Lucas! Hey, it's so nice to see you."

"Likewise, what's for dessert?" Lucas asks, a lazy smile on his lips.

I'm bewildered at how he does it. Like an effortless push in soft butter, he just makes his way. Whereas my attempts feel like chalk scrapes on a board. Perhaps I need alcohol.

Grabbing a glass of wine from a passing waiter, I chug down as much as possible. By the time we join Gia's table with platters of chocolate mouse and kiwi lime pie, I'm tipsy and loose.