Chapter 16

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of Kudos and BBC. The original characters and plot are the property of the author of this story. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any previously copyrighted material. No copyright infringement is intended.

>>> <<<

“All things truly wicked start from an innocence.”

Ernest Hemingway, A Moveable Feast

The metal handcuff cut deep into the skin of her wrist and Alexa screamed as Mikhael pulled her behind him as they ran out of the cabin.  The corridor was narrow, accommodating only Mikhael’s bulky form but as they moved as quickly as they could along the corridor, Mikhael suddenly cursed.  He pulled Alexa in front of him, and she found herself staring at Lucas, who stood by the door that led outside to the stairs.

“Get out of the way, North,” Mikhael shouted, pointing his gun towards Lucas.

“Let her go, Mikhael,” Lucas said, his gun trained at the burly man’s head.  His eyes flickered towards Alexa, seeing the bruise across her jaw and the cuts that still bled along her wrist.  “She needs medical attention.  You’ve tortured her long enough.”

“We all won’t be needing any attention if you don’t get out of the way, North,” Mikhael said.  “We’ll be dead.  There’s a bomb on the ship and we’re running out of time.”

“You lie,” Lucas said, taking another step forward but Mikhael remained where he stood.  Alexa could feel Mikhael’s heart beating fast behind her, knowing that if Lucas refused to budge, they would all be dead in a matter of minutes.

“He’s telling the truth, Lucas,” Alexa said, wincing as Mikhael tightened his hold around her neck.  “Please, we need to get out of here now.”

Lucas stared at her, seeing the panicked look in her eyes and he stepped backwards, onto the balcony, as Mikhael made his way forward.  Alexa could smell the fear in the air now, knowing that time was running out fast.  

Lucas descended down the steps but waited for them, his gun still trained on Mikhael as they ran down the steps.  Just then, the cargo ship rocked and shuddered, the sound of tearing metal and the smell of sulfur filling the air.  Alexa and Mikhael were thrown violently forward, and as debris rained on them, Mikhael dragged Alexa behind a row of cargo containers and covered her body with his. 

For a few moments, Alexa could hear nothing even as Mikhael was yelling in her ear.  The blast had been so loud that she felt she were in some sort of vacuum and all she could hear were muffled voices talking to her.  She stared at him, realizing that he was speaking in Russian to her.  

“They bugged the cabin, Alexa.  You were right to say you didn’t know anything,” Mikhael was saying.  “But the time for pretending is over.  They want that disk back.”  

She stared at him, realizing that behind him, the bridge where they had just been was on fire, smoke bellowing from the windows, flames licking the upper floor.  

Mikhael began unlocking the cuff that bound her to him.  “Bring the disk to someone you trust completely, someone at MI5, but not Lucas North.  Remember he is a traitor. ”

Suddenly in the midst of the smoke, someone began shooting at them.  Though they had sought cover behind a row of containers that faced the dock, they found themselves in the firing line of someone else from the dock in front of them.  The first hail of bullets missed Alexa and Mikhael by mere inches, piercing the metal cargo container next to them.  Mikhael pulled her away, towards the way they had come initially, where the heat from the flames was intense.  But they had no choice.