Pt 4 Chapter 11 - Taking her home

Y/n's POV

It was the day. Everything had been approved with flying colours and all papers were signed. The room was ready and so were we. Natasha had been reading some books and I was making sure that we had everything we needed and even more. The time flew by and before we knew it I had started the car and we were on our way to pick her up. We had decided on the name Harriet Romanoff.

"I actually can't believe this is real." Natasha sighed.

"Mental isn't it. How different life is." I smiled at her.

"Me, a mother. I never thought it possible." She frowned.

"The past doesn't define you, anything is possible if you've got enough nerve." I told her.

"A harry potter quote? Really?" She chuckled.

"You've read Harry Potter?" I looked at her with a shocked expression.

"Who hasn't!" She looked equally surprised.

"You have a point."

We drove talking about the films for the rest of the way, even discussing what houses each of us would be. We decided that Tony is a mix of most of them, Bruce is hufflepuff with a hint of Ravenclaw, Scott and Thor are hufflepuff, Vision is Ravenclaw, Wanda is Hufflepuff or gryffindor and Steve is gryffindor. The debate took us all the way to the gates of the adoption center where we were to collect our daughter.

My stomach was a bundle of nerves and I could tell Natasha's was too. The process had been so much quicker than expected that we got a shorter time to prepare and practise. No one with experience of children was at the compound so we were pretty much on our own in terms of figuring out how to be the best parents possible. 

"Ready?" Nat asked before we got out of the car. 

"Nope, but we gotta take that leap." I smiled. 

"Oh yes, the leap of faith." Nat nodded, climbing out the car. She got the blanket and car seat out of the back and we walked inside, hand in hand. The friendly lady at the desk nodded towards the door to the nursery. We passed down the corridor and into the room. The older woman was waiting for us, the little red haired infant snuggled in her arms. 

"Oh sorry, I was just saying goodbye to the little sweetheart." She smiled. 

"That's alright, I can't blame you, she's a little darling." Nat grinned. 

"Ready?" The lady asked, looking down at the carrier. 

"I think so." I replied a little hesitantly. 

"You'll be great, I have faith in you both." She looked over the two of us. "You will give her a wonderful loving, fun, adventurous home. A home she deserves." 

"Thank you." Natasha said softly, taking the child into her arms. "Hello there." She almost whispered. The baby cooed at her voice and a tiny smile came over her pink face. 

"Did you decide on a name?" The woman questioned. 

"Harriet." I told her. "Haz for short." 

"Beautiful." 

We followed her out to the desk where we signed the certificate. I wrote our daughters name and then signed my own. Natasha handed over Harriet for her to sign her name. Then the lady wrote the date of birth and we were handed the folder with all of the things we would need. "Congratulations, good luck." She smiled. 

"Congrats." The woman behind the main desk called as we left. Natasha gently buckled the infant into the car seat and we put it securely in the back seat. The infant had a pale blue onesie on and was wrapped in a white knitted blanket. She slowly drifted back to sleep as we got ourselves into the car. Natasha sat in the back with her watching her quietly.