15| Shut Up...Just Shut Up

ARABELLA's POV

The ride back 'home' was unquestionably full of dread.

I'd been sitting on the seat for twenty minutes and it was starting to feel like hours.

I felt like a child who knew that scolding was awaiting me once I reached home.

It wasn't the thing that scared me though, the constant voice in my head which kept telling me that I was to be punished was what terrified me.

Punishment means pain—

And I didn't want it.

Uncomfortable silence has graced the atmosphere of the car. Alexander was driving with his fists and jaw tightly clenched and I could feel his anger radiating off of him which didn't help my anxiety at all, in fact it was driving it insane.

My heart was thudding rapidly against my chest, tears were threatening to pool and fall down my cheeks, yet I forced them back.

My focus was mainly on one question which sparked a lot of similar ones and a few follow ups.

Will he hit me?

I could finally feel the fatigue rushing through my body stronger than ever, but my eyes were failing miserably to stay open as little by little they began to droop.

But a part of my brain was fighting to stay awake because while my heart told me I was safe, my brain didn't believe it and if I fell asleep, I wouldn't be able to save myself.

Will their punishment be just as severe as John

Or will it be worse?

I can't let that happen.

"Alexander–" I called him, and he turned to face me for a split second, as he nodded his head, motioning me to continue then returning his gaze to look at the road.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have run away like that. Please don't punish me." I spoke slowly, my gaze fixed on my fiddling fingers as I made a desperate attempt to apologise and avoid a punishment.

I sensed the car moving to the side of the road before coming to a halt, as I looked up to see Alexander already intently staring back at me.

I couldn't decipher what he was thinking because other than a scrutinising gaze, he had a blank face.

"What you did was extremely wrong, but we will not punish you, Arabella. Yes, we are all very disappointed but I understand that you must have been under a lot of stress, and you didn't think rationally. I know you have no idea about our lives, but you have to understand that we own billion dollar corporations and we have rivals who wouldn't hesitate to harm you to get to us, which has made us all even more concerned about you. I don't want to scare you sweetheart, but I do want to prepare you for what may await you at home. The guys were all really worried and had been searching for you ever since you ran away. They might be a little mad at you, but in no situation would anyone hurt you, I promise." Alexander said, his soothing voice sounded so convincing but I couldn't bring myself to believe him.

Of course, they are going to hurt me

They are all mad at me.

But were they all really looking for me?

Were they truly worried?

Does that mean that they care??

I just nodded my head in return, still not believing him and after a few seconds of Alexander staring at me, he re-started the car and we drove towards home.