xxix

[ chapter 29 ]

march 20
2:00 p.m
edmonton (alberta), canada

- - - - -

[Y/n]

sorry if its hard to catch my vibe
mm, i need a lover to trust
tell me youre on my side
are you down for the ride

its not easy for someone to catch my eye
aye, but i been waiting for you
for my whole damn life
my whole lifetime

dont be afraid to tell me if you ain't wit it
i see your focus, yeah youre so independent
its hard for me to open up, i'll admit it
you got some shit to say, and im here to listen

so baby

"Good!" The track cuts out and Calvin's voice replaces it. I smile as Normani, Calvin (one of my all-time favorite producers), Ariana, Courtney, Victoria, Joan, Frankie, Nonna, Dean, Wallace, and Zachary all cheer. I step out of the booth only for Calvin to gesture me back in.

"I want Normani and Y/n in there for the first run-through on the chorus." I nod and do as told, as does the melanin queen. She smiles at me and I nod in acknowledgement as the track starts up again.

[Y/n & Normani]

tell me where your love lies
waste the day and spend the night
underneath the sun rise
show me where your love lies

"Love it! The idea for Normani to take the lower register was an amazing idea. Now, Y/n step out and Normani stay in for your verse." We nod and she pecks my cheek in a friendly gesture of gratitude as I walk out.

"Good run through, Y/nn." I smile at Calvin. "Thanks Cal." He nods and I immediately flop onto the couch. The past few days have been exhausting. Apparently, my dad had some issues with his rent when he left and he needs more money, I've been working on this song and setting up a studio session on the move.

Thank God Calvin was in Canada on a business trip, or else I'd be lost.

And on top of all that, Ariana's been acting strange. Like, she still shows me love and congratulates me whenever I get off stage and me for her but it's like she's getting tired of me. Even just the thought of that saddens me deeply.

"Baby, you okay? You seem out of it." Ariana comes over and sits beside me. I snap out of my thoughts the second the Italian places a comforting hand on my knee. The sound comes back in and I hear Calvin and Normani discussing the vocals.

I nod curtly. "Yeah, just tired." I gave her a lazy, toothless smile. She smiles back and leans forward, placing several kisses on my lips back-to-back. "You need some rest. We're in a hotel tonight, so I'll give you a massage." She winks. I chuckle and nod.

"Sounds good to me." I lean back with a playful sly smirk, making the love of my life laugh and slap my chest. I jump up, laughing with her.

"Y/n!" I jump for another reason this time, turning to face the woman who messed up my moment with Ariana. Normani had a faint blush on her cheeks, barely noticeable and a sheepish smile. I heard Ariana scoff lightly beside me; so I placed a hand on her inner thigh and squeezed.