˗ˋ 30

CHAPTER THIRTY

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH REALISATIONS OCCUR

. . .

McGonagall's eyebrows had risen up into her hairline, Sprout's lips had pursued, Flitwick was stood up in his seat and still only managed to just look over the table top. Snape's expression hadn't changed.

But they all looked a picture of surprise, as did the entirety of the students in front of them. Nobody could quite believe that they were watching Dumbledore being interrupted - no matter how much he had been slandered in the Daily Prophet, he was still one of the greatest wizards of that time, whether he had turned 'crazy' or not.

No teacher, new or old, had ever interrupted Dumbledore. Even if you weren't the fondest of the old wizard, you didn't speak over him, didn't dare to break anything he was saying.

"Thank you, Headmaster," Professor Umbridge simpered, "for those kind words of welcome." Her voice was of such a breathy, girly quality that Fred and George were instantly laughing, imitating her perfectly within seconds.

"Well, it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say!" She smiled, revealing very pointed teeth. "And to see such happy little faces looking back at me!"

"Well that is embarassing." Rosie's eyebrows raised just how Professor Sprout's had, although her's were still visible and didn't disappear under flyaway hair. Absolutely nobody was looking at all happy to see Umbridge.

"I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all,and I'm sure we'll be very good friends!" The frog-like woman continued, not at all dazed by the sight. Umbridge's voice was bright and cheery, and so fake.

She was talking to them as if they were children, and not a single one of the students appreciated it and acted exactly like it. Their lack of respect for her was growing, and chatter broke out across the hall.

"Now this is gonna be a fun year." George sat back in his seat, a smirk on his face. "I think this might be the last time Umbridge will have any sort of command."

"If this was medieval times we could've all thrown a tomato at her and gone on with our day." Rosie sighed, eyeing a slice of tomato that had fallen from someones' plate. 

"Someone will do it.. one way or another." Fred shrugged, a smile on his face. "Probably one of us and-"

Once again, the annoying noise of Umbridge clearing her throat echoed around the hall, the girly "Hem, hem," somehow louder than the student's conversations. But when she continued, the girliness and the breathiness seemed to have worn off, she sounded much more business-like and actually like a grown adult woman, even if her height contested against that.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. There are gifts with which you were born may come to nothing if not nurtured and honed by careful instruction. The ancient skills unique to the Wizarding community must be passed down through the generations lest we lose them forever. The treasure trove of magical knowledge amassed by our ancestors must be guarded, replenished, and polished by those who have been called to the noble profession of teaching." Umbridge paused, turning to the staff at the table and bowing at them, trying to garner some respect through acknowledging them.

"What is she playing at?" Rosie asked, leaning closer to Angelina, who shook her head, not at all understanding the speech that Umbridge had clearly learnt off by heart, repeating it in an almost monotone voice.

"Every headmaster and headmistress of Hogwarts has brought something new to the weighty task of governing this historic school, and that is as it should be, for without progress there will be stagnation and decay. There again, progress for progress's sake must be discouraged, for our tried and tested traditions often require no tinkering. A balance, then, between old and new, between permanence and change, between tradition and innovation..." Umbridge continued, but with a lack of focus on her speech, Rosie let her mind drift.

Now, whilst she was listening to some Ministry hag drone innovation and balance, Cedric was laying in a Hospital wing. He might even be awake and she wouldn't even know - and if he woke up any time soon, she was going to be in Scotland and he was in London. 

God, if only Cedric had woken up sooner.

She forced her attention back to Umbridge.

"... because some changes will be for the better, while others will come, in the fullness of time, to be recognized as errors of judgment. Meanwhile, some old habits will be retained, and rightly so, whereas others, outmoded and outworn, must be abandoned. Let us move forward, then, into a new era of openness, effectiveness, and accountability, intent on preserving what ought to be preserved, perfecting what needs to be perfected, and pruning wherever we find practices that ought to be prohibited." Umbridge finally sat down, and a spattering of applause could be heard.

Rosie's hands remained by her side, an eruption of conversation could be heard as the woman stopped speaking, Dumbledore rising once again to talk of the Quidditch tryouts.

But one thing became clear, even if for most of the pointless drone Rosie had zoned out.

"The Ministry is trying to take control of Hogwarts." She said softly, realisation dawning.

The next year was going to be something else; they had no idea what was coming for them.

a/n
chapter 100?? holy shit
good news soon <333