Chapter 55 - Board Meeting

It is now a few hours later, after Lena's meeting with Sam. Lena's meeting with the board members at L-Corp is now coming to an end. The first hour of the meeting was all about updates on L-Corp's various projects, introducing Sam to the board formerly, and talking about the next quarter's projected profit margins. After all of that was out of the way, Lena spent the last half an hour pitching for the company to buy CatCo. It all felt very weird to Lena, as she is the CEO she never has to actually pitch ideas to her board, and admittedly she does have some concerns that by doing this, as in the future the board may expect the same treatment. However, Lena is willing to do this now, and deal with those potential issues later, after all, this is for Kara, and Lena would do anything for her.

"So, to summarise" Lena says, ending her pitch to the board, "I believe that by L-Corp purchasing CatCo, it will be of great benefit to our company, both from a financial perspective, and from a perspective when we take into account the resources L-Corp will gain, and thereby be able to use, as a result of this purchase. Like I said, this is a.... unique situation.... as it will be branching L-Corp's business interests outside our existing area, so that is why I am putting this to a vote. I of course could buy CatCo with L-Corp's existing monetary assets, due to my majority share in this company, but I have decided for this decision only, I will put it to a vote, and respect the board's decision, no matter the outcome."

Once Lena finishes the board members all look at each other, all trying to gauge each other's views on the matter without actually saying anything out loud. In total, including Lena and Sam, there are 7 members who currently sit on the L-Corp board, meaning that Lena needs only 2 further board members to agree with her decision to have a majority, seeing as she already has Sam's support.

"Well....." The oldest member of the L-Corp board says, "I will go first and say, I will NOT be voting for this. L-Corp has always been a company devoted to science. Originally, under your father and then your brother, we worked mostly in the weapons field, but you changed that when the company fell to you. You have already changed enough; this is a step too far."

Lena expected as much from this board member, he is just an old man, set in his ways, and he has never liked the fact that Lena is now the CEO. In fact, when Lena told the board of her decision to change the company's name from Luthor Corp to L-Corp he stormed into her office telling her she doesn't respect the company's history. In actuality, Lena thinks that the old man is just a massive sexist, and absolutely despises the fact that a woman is in charge. Lena would have already got rid of him, if she could, but unfortunately, after her, the old man is the second largest shareholder in L-Corp; he apparently was one of Lionel's right hand men.

"Very well. Anyone else?" Lena asks, looking at the rest of the board.

"I have to say..." One of the younger board members begins, "I think that while this is a different business than what L-Corp usually deals in, the potentials for CatCo's use to us could be very interesting."

"I agree." Another board member says, "As you mentioned Miss Luthor, the relationships L-Corp could form by having CatCo write articles on a variety of scientific subjects would be a great asset."

"I am unsure...." A four member of the board begins, "This all is... risky.... There are several ifs and buts... The only saving grace for me.... is that it should be easy for the share prices to recover quickly... after you publish the editorial you mentioned..."

After everyone has spoken, it leaves only one board member, other than Sam, who has not voiced his opinion one way or the other. Lena just waits a few seconds, looking at the board member. However, after about 10 seconds of uncomfortable silence, the board member doesn't speak.

"Very well. I am putting it to a vote then." Lena says.

"Aye." Sam says, being the first to vote and support her friend.