Chapter Thirteen

"It's finally warm enough for a picnic and we are taking advantage," Regina states as they stroll through Central Park, admiring the buzz now that spring has finally bloomed and people are ecstatic to be outside once again.

"And I can finally show you that apple tree I was talking about," her son excitedly adds on, hiking his backpack higher upon one shoulder because he's too cool now to use both straps.

She flashes him an exuberant smile that conveys exactly how much she enjoys his company and it's so easy for him now to reciprocate that gesture. It's these genuine smiles that keep filling all the cracks to her broken soul and piecing her back together again.

She peeks over at her girlfriend, knowing there's another smile waiting for her, but the woman seems to be trailing behind in their shadow.

"Emma?"

Her girlfriend snaps to attention, her head perking up as though someone just dangled a bear claw in front of her as bait. "Huh?"

"Are you alright?" She investigates, stopping dead in her tracks while their son continues to find just the right spot for them. "You're falling behind."

"Oh, yeah. I'm fine. It's just been a long walk and I'm starting to feel the pressure. She's so low I swear she's going to shoot right out," she laughs but there isn't a hint of humor in her tone which formulates a frown around Regina's mouth.

"Would you like to stop and sit down a moment-"

"No, no. We are almost there." She nods ahead while her hand subconsciously presses against her lower abdomen like maybe she can physically keep the baby inside of her. "See, Henry found a spot. He's setting up the blanket now," she explains but Regina is too concerned about the shortness of breath Emma is trying to hide.

"You seem out of breath. Are you sure you're alright?"

"I'm fine," Emma drags out the sentence for as long as possible until she is pressing a quick peck to the corner of Regina's mouth. "I swear. This little bugger has been getting heavier, which is a good thing, right?"

Regina's lips purse, her eyes still roaming all over Emma's body for any sign of pain. "I suppose," she skeptically hums.

"Come on, I'm starving," she whines, slipping her hand into Regina's and dragging her to where their son is settling down on the blanket.

It's a beautiful Saturday afternoon at the end of March and all she wants to do is spend time with her family. She even left her phone at Emma's so they won't be interrupted. Well, that and because she has been ignoring Snow's call for three weeks now and she doesn't need that mess during her family outing.

Last weekend she didn't see Emma or Henry because she lied to them and claimed that she was heading back home to Maine to visit her son, so the sheriff didn't become too suspicious. She hasn't the slightest clue how she's going to deal with that catastrophe later down the road because she knows Emma and Henry will want to meet this mysterious boy and she really doesn't want to keep on lying, but she obviously cannot tell them the truth. And this is exactly why she should have had a plan from the beginning.

"What a perfect spot," Regina compliments, pulling the small wagon to a complete stop in front of their blanket. "Near the apple tree I presume," she notes, nodding toward an enormous tree a few feet away.

"Yup! Maybe we can come back in September when the apples are actually ready to be picked," he meekly suggests, expressing that maybe he didn't entirely think his plan through because he was just so excited to show her something he thought she might enjoy.

"That sounds lovely, dear."

"Yeah, maybe we can go to an apple orchard and pick some. That sounds kinda cool," Emma offers, carefully settling down on the blanket and breathing a sigh of relief.