Chapter Six: Blocking

On Ashlyn's bed, I raise myself with my elbows, and she is folding laundry at the other end of it. We both laugh as we discuss the information she just gave me.

"Wait, wait, wait! EJ wrote a song?!" I repeat, in utter disbelief.

Ashlyn's eyes widen in horror, nodding, "Imagine an early 2000s boyband, without auto-tune."

I gasp, "Even the freakish dance moves?"

"Especially the freakish dance moves!" She confirms, and we burst out laughing.

Sadness immediately overtakes me as I sigh, "I deserved that song, Ash. I deserve the effort that he's putting into Nini."

She nods along, offering a small smile, "I know, B."

"Like," I rant, repositioning to sit cross-legged, "Nina Salazar-Roberts, of all people?! She stole my childhood friend, and now my boyfriend? What spell are Kourtney and EJ under?"

Ashlyn dislikes conflict and doesn't engage in trash talking. Crystals and kindness are the answers to all of her problems. She merely nodded as I continued, allowing me to vent.

Although, she is in an awkward position because we are talking about her cousin and his new girlfriend.

"Whatever," I sidestepped talking about Nini, "You know, mine and EJ's conversation should have been closure...but I just still feel like there's something unsaid between us." I sigh, then shrug, "I don't know, maybe it's just me clinging onto hope."

"It's okay to be sad and scared during the process." She reminds, smiling.

"I'm not even sad anymore." I confess, "He had the audacity to believe I would tell my mom that he said hey. I feel like, today, just made any sadness disappear, and now I'm just angry."

"That's also normal to feel." She assures, nodding.

"But I miss him." I blurt, sighing, "And I'm angry."

"Let yourself feel. Cry." She softly encourages.

I playfully roll my eyes, "I don't feel, Ash!"

"Sure you don't." She teases.

"I don't!" My voice goes higher at the lie.

She laughs and settles at the foot of her bed, making me smile.

"B, you're a single lady now. Has anyone new caught your eye?" She grins.

I shake my head, "Nope."

"Not even Ricky?" She inquires, with a teasing smile.

"Ew," I blurt as my face falls.

She throws her hands up in surrender, "I'm just saying!"

I scoff in disgust, "I could never."

"Never say never." She winks.

I roll my eyes, "Ash, gross."

She chuckles, "Okay! I'm just saying, you seem happier lately- more out of your shell."

"Honestly, I owe that to Carlos, the choreographer." There was a tilt in my voice that was once always dry, of amazement at how much he has changed me.

Meanwhile, Ashlyn's smile had faded as she appeared horrified, "Oh, B.. as much as you'd kill a Bust Your Windows moment, he-"

"Ash," I nearly burst out laughing, "Not like that."

"Oh!" She huffs out in relief with a hand over her heart as I laugh.

"What about you?" I curiously question as my laughter subsides, "Are you crushing on anyone?"