twenty-seven

hi!! I missed u guys, thank you for waiting

this chapter ended up being pretty long so I've decided not to post 28 until next Friday. when I post 29 is still tbd but clearly I still can't stick to a schedule so am going to stop making promises lol, but you can expect the next few chapters very soon :)

just wanted to remind everyone that the rules of Obliviate are different in the HP books than they are in the movies. here, the rules are a little different, too. everything is thoroughly explained (and isn't very complicated, anyway), just want to ward off all "that's not correct" comments bc I have done my research and have adjusted the info a tiny bit, to fit this story.

this chapter isn't as much draco/belly content as the last few have been, but the next few ..... ahhh I'm excited

btw if you haven't seen them yet, there are a few Spotify playlists for this story, you can find the link in my bio. still working on YouTube ones :)

ok hope u enjoy :)

d r a c o

Draco couldn't sleep.

He wouldn't have predicted that. Had he known that this would be the peculiar course that life would take, he might have expected peaceful nights following her return. Would have thought that her presence beside him in bed would be a comfort; a restoration of normality.

Instead he drifted in and out of sleep, restless and paranoid. Every faint noise was an intruder, breaking in to dispel Draco from Isobel's mind. Every hazy shadow was an onlooker, ready to whisk her away.

But hours later, with daylight filtering through the bedroom, Belly was still beside him. One small arm was still wrapped tightly around his middle.

For over a year, he had dreamt of a moment like this, and the deja vu was overwhelming. He knew the exact sleepy-eyed look she'd give him if she woke now, dark eyelashes fluttering. He knew the way she would stretch, the quiet sound of her yawn. He knew all of that, but she barely knew him at all. Good morning, I love you, she would have said, this time two years ago. Now she would only say part of it.

She shifted her position in her sleep, moved her hand across his t-shirt to rest on his shoulder. He breathed out, breathed in; thanked his lucky stars that she preferred to be here, rather than alone in her house. Finally, finally, he drifted off to sleep.

-

i s o b e l

There was too much space beside her when she woke. She stretched out an arm, but was met only with empty sheets. Opened her eyes, saw only an empty bed.

Panic rose inside her at once. "Draco?"

She got up and moved around the bed to the living room door. Peered nervously around it, half expecting to see Lucius Malfoy there, waiting for her. Wand pointed at her heart. But the living room and kitchen nook were both empty.

"Belly?"

She spun on her heels, hand on her heart.

Draco stood in the doorway of the bathroom, fully dressed; hair darkened with dampness. Toothbrush in his hand, hanging at his side.

"Oh," she breathed. She hadn't even noticed the sound of the shower running.

"You alright?"

"Sorry," she said. "I'm jumpy." She tried to push the nervous energy away; tried to force herself to be calm. "Good morning."