Chapter 33: One Chance

#422

" That's a clean one Aavya. C'mon! You've been bowled out twice already and caught behind the wicket once." Aman was more than agitated now. 

" Noo! That's so not fair, Aman. Ask Kyle. " I shouted in my defense. 

I always took advantage of being an underaged player or kacha limbu as we call it but then there are only so many times a person can get out. Playing cricket wasn't something that all of us engaged frequently but when we did most of our time was lost in petty arguments. 

" Kyle won't defend you now because I'm gonna take away your bat. You've been playing since the beginning. Care to even notice that teams have switched and you're still there. " Aman was crossing to come to me. 

" Last chance, Okay! I swear if I'm out again then I'm done. Going inside the house. One chance." I was pleading now. 

" Aavya, that's why we don't include you. You just want to bat. Who's gonna ball and field?" Now Ayan had to jump in. 

" Guys! Let her be." Kyle yelled from the end of the field. 

" Enough. It's my chance to bat. Off you go." Zee came in at the last moment and pushed me out. And no one said a word. Not even my brothers. Aman even had the audacity to grin at me. 

" Wait. Wait till I complain to Papa..." I screamed while they laughed. 

" That's all you can do. Complaint box!" Ayan retorted and I groaned in anger before storming away. 

~ Aavya, on a weekend night after being ousted from a cricket game. 

❋❋❋

While it was a rather chirpy morning in contrast to the somber forecast, Jaai was mulling on his decision to see Aman. He wasn't sure if he should have a glance at him before he cheers up his daughter but he decided it was worth a try. He knew he was in the office and it didn't matter if he was busy or not, Jaai wanted to talk and Aman would take out the time.
He had to see for himself where the boy stood because a father's heart always knows. It's like a gut feeling, only stronger. 

He knocked.

" Yes..." It was a quick reply from Aman.

" Uncle Jaai... How are you? Was not expecting you..." He smiled.

" Am I interrupting?"

" Of course not. I'm free for you, always..." Jaai knew when the boy emanated venerable emotions and he was all but genuine today.

" Good." Jaai took a place in front of his desk and as soon as he sat he could see Aman shifting and looking confused.

" I need to talk about something, rather someone." He said and it was then the nervousness clear as day on Aman's face.

" I-I... Uncle... " The stammering began.

Aman's heart was racing. He never felt so much scrutinized in front of Jaai before. They always got along well but he knew he is a father and when a boy hurts his girl it might not bode well. It was indeed surprising that he had kept his calm so long. Aman was positive if it had been his father and Aavya was the one hurting, it would have ended terribly for the other person. The thought made him shudder.

" Aman, Relax. I'm not here to kill..." He assured, then laughed.

" Should have, could have but I won't..." He smiled and Aman settled in his seat still uncomfortable.

" I'm not here to intimidate you or strong-arm you. I won't even ask what went wrong with the two of you but if you're truly not willing to get back..."