LXV. ROMEO AND JULIET

ROMEO AND JULIET!

DECEMBER 1977

7th Year

• • • •

"Oh my God." Maxine breathed out, as she sat on Holland's bed on Christmas Eve, staring wide-eyed at the girl.

"Yeah." Holland sighed, leaning against her desk, fiddling with a small rectangular object in her hands.

"Oh my God." Maxine repeated.

"You've said that five times already." Holland told the older girl.

"Sorry, I'm just shocked."

"That's okay," The Irish girl sent her friend a small smile, "I'm still shocked."

"I mean, I know we all joked about it, but," Maxine let out a heavy sigh, "This is ridiculous."

"Tell me about it." Holland frowned, looking down at the object in her hands.

Maxine nodded towards it, "What's that."

Holland looked down at the object with a small, sad smile, "It's a cassette player," She told the older girl, "Remus and I gave our presents to each other on the last day of term, as we both wanted ot see each other's reactions. He gave me this, some mixtapes that he made for me," She then let out a laugh, "And a Batmobile figure because he was shocked when he found out that I didn't know who Batman was."

Maxine smiled at what she was hearing, "What did you get him?"

"A chocolate collection - because he's Remus - and some pranking things for him and the boys to use."

"That's nice," Maxine nodded, before checking the time on her watch and looking up at the girl, "When are you going to do this?"

Holland looked down at the floor with a frown, "Tonight."

"Do you want me to come with you?"

"No," Holland shook her head softly, "This is something that I'm going to have to do myself."

"I get that," Maxine told her, "Would you like me to stay here with you tonight?"

Tears started to fall in the younger girl's eyes, "Please."

Maxine immediately stood up from Holland's bed, bringing her smaller frame into a hug.

"It'll be okay. I promise," The redhead told her friend as she held her sobbing figure, waiting for her to calm down slightly. And when she did, the older girl asked, "What's a Batman?"

***

Standing outside of the Potter house, Holland felt as though her heart was going to pound out of her chest, and knocking on the door she felt sick.