LXVI. THE NOBLE HOUSES OF LUX AND BLACK

ANNIVERSARY!

DECEMBER 1977

DECEMBER 1977

7th Year

• • • •

"You look stunning." Maxine told Holland, finishing up the younger girl's hair, as she looked at her through the vanity mirror.

"Thanks." The Irish girl mumbled, her face and voice void of emotion, as it had been since last night.

Maxine hugged her friend tightly from behind, "I'm so sorry about all of this."

Holland hugged her back, "There's nothing to be sorry for. It's not your fault."

***

The annual Christmas Ball at Lux Manor was in full swing, with dancing, drinking and merriment.

"Oh Merlin." Maxine sighed, taking a sip of her drink.

"What?" Holland asked, looking up from playing with her fingers.

"Rosier." The older girl nodded her head to the other side of the ballroom.

"And he's talking to Mulciber." The dark-haired girl sighed.

"Both of our vile exes in one room," Maxine cringed, "Brilliant."

"Just what we need this evening." Holland nodded, playing with the skirt of her deep green, off the shoulder ballgown.

Walburga Black walked to the centre of the room, holding her wand up to her throat, clearing it, which gained everyone's attention.

"If I could have everyone's attention please," The woman spoke, even though everyone had already turned to look at her, "My son, Regulus, has something to say."

Walburga beckoned the boy over to where she was standing, the boy swallowing thickly and doing so, causing Holland to grab Maxine's hand. His mother gave him a hard look, before leaving him in the middle of the ballroom, everyone staring at him.

"Um, there's something that I'd like to ask Holland." He nervously said, all eyes turning to the girl.

Holland reluctantly let go of her friends hand, slowly walking over to to the nervous boy, who gulped once she was stood in front of him.

"Um, Holland Elara Lux," He got down on one knee and pulled a small box out of his pocket, "Will-Will you marry me?"

The world had stopped turning.

All eyes were on her.

Mouth dry.

Palms sweaty.

Heart racing.

One word was spoken.

"Yes."

***

For the rest of the night, Holland was on autopilot.

Her feet were guiding her where to go, opposed to her brain, as was Maxine tugging on her elbow.

"Well, Holland," Bellatrix said, sauntering over to the girl, her younger sister in tow, "Welcome to the family, I suppose. I knew the whole of the last year was all just a phase."

Holland managed to give the crazy-haired witch a small, forced smile, "Yeah."

Sensing her friend's discomfort, Maxine linked arms with Bellatrix, "Why don't we go catch up?" She said, dragging the older girl awahy, leaving Holland with Narcissa, "Bye, Cissa."

Narcissa turned to Holland with a sympathetic smile, "I apologise for my sister. You know what she's like."

The Irish girl nodded, "Yeah, I do."

"I personally am really happy that you're joining our family." Narcissa told the younger girl, putting a comforting hand on her arm.

Holland gave her a small, real smile, "Thank you, Cissa."

"And I know how much you're hurting," The older Slytherin added, "So I just want you to know that I'm here for you. Whenever you need me."

***

The ball was coming to an end, and stayed Holland sat to the side, doing her best to avoid anymore people who want to congratulate her on her engagement.

"How you doing, sweetheart?" Delphina asked, as she sat down next to her Granddaughter.

"How am I meant to feel?"

"Well, if I were you, I'd be feeling bloody pissed off," The woman told the girl, making her chuckle slightly, "We tried to stop it. All of us. I've never seen Elara fight for something so hard in her life."

"Thanks." Holland nodded, playing with her fingers.

Delphina studied her Granddaughter, before looking out at the ballroom with a heavy sigh.

"Sometimes, life deals you a bad hand, but just like with poker, you can still play your cards right and win."

Holland looked at her Grandmother in surprise.

"I've been speaking to Bronwyn," Delphina explained, "I've learnt some things. But just trust me. It'll all be okay in the end. We'll make sure of it."

Those were words that should've comforted Holland, and they did, for a moment.

But that night, all she could think of as she cried into Jeremiah's arms was Remus and how much she missed him already.

Because at least Juliet died married to the man she loved.

For it wasn't Romeo that she was marrying. It was Paris.