xxxviii. the auction

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT ─── the auction 

𝕾tasiaj Yahontov liked being fashionably late. She enjoyed the feeling of eyes on her, full of terror and longing. She was unattainable to most, a saint amongst mere men, and she would not sully her halo with the filth of those below her. But, it did not hurt to let them look.

However, this was no time to be fashionably late. Kaz had told her to be there before the clocks rang for three bells, knowing her tendency to make an entrance, and so she had decided to oblige him for once, arriving on time to the auction. Sure, Stasiaj might not have the eyes on her that being late would provide, but Kaz's somewhat shell shocked expression made up for it all. 

"Alright, Crow Man?"

"Is that my shirt?" Stasiaj smiled, smoothing her blazer out. Stasiaj had decided to leave behind her dress that day, to opt for a suit much like Kaz's. However, instead of black and silver colourings and sharp cut that Kaz wore, Stasiaj's was coloured dark blue, gold buttons running up the front, and Kaz's white shirt beneath that. She shot him a grin, threading the final fang through her hair, each one embossed with sapphires.

"It might be," Kaz nodded, licking his lips as Stasiaj watched his adam's apple bob. "This is the part where you compliment me, Crow Man."

"Are you going to be hindered running?" He murmured instead, turning away to hide the faint colour on his cheek and Stasiaj rolled her eyes, a smirk on her face. 

"Not at all," She shook her head, as Matthias did a double take as he saw her.

"Stasiaj...You are back?" Stasiaj nodded, as Matthias embraced her. "It is good to see you."

"It's good to see you as well. Kuwei," The Shu boy nodded at her, still not fully being able to meet her eyes. She intimidated him and Stasiaj liked that. She enjoyed the fear that radiated from others. It was like a drug, and Stasiaj craved it almost as much as she did Kaz's lips on hers. 

"How are you back? I thought he..." Kaz glared, and Stasiaj rolled her eyes.

"We talked it through. Everything's sorted and I'm back to help you with this," She squeezed his arm. "We started together, we shall finish this together."

"Good," Matthias grinned, both of them nodding at each other, before he was called forward to be patted down by the guards, to check for weapons.

"Snake," Stasiaj took a step back, falling in beside Kaz as he sighed. "You look like a princess."