Chapter 23

After we had dealt with the press, I took dinner in my room and thought about the offer my father presented.

He wasn't wrong about some things, that starting the selection over might appease the rebels who were adamant about taking out any shot at the Royals' happiness and peace. While the general public was astounded with America's bravery and integrity, they didn't speak for all those who hated us. The thing was, I had grown close to every lady that was still here. I shared a quiet but obvious bond with Kriss and my feelings for her have potential to run deeper than she seemed to know. I connected to Celeste and underneath all the micromanaging, she was a lot like me. I even talked with Elise from time to time about herself and how she came to terms with her sexuality and she trusted me.

And America. What I had with America wasn't something I could just throw away now, I was too far gone with my feelings for her. I'm fell in love with her and she still can't see it and even worse, I can't tell if she's met the threshold like I have. Regardless, all these women hold a special place that's close to me and sending them all away now, out of the blue probably wasn't my best option. All to potentially appease some bully? I think not. America was right and stood true to her name. I was going to fight for this country and fight for us. I was sure America would be quaking in her heels now, waiting for me to clarify what I was going to do. I set off to her room only to find the door ajar and giggles and voices coming from within. I walked up to the door and saw all of the Elite in her room, soft smiles and conversation.

"...And at least you made it to the top four, Elise. Trust me, guys will be lined up around the block for you," said Kriss. I couldn't see Elise's full face from my angle but I saw the sad smile from her cheekbones. I wondered if she would ever tell them, not that she owed them any explanation.

"I do not need a line. I just need one," she replied sweetly. Kriss smiled as America rubbed her hand.

"Well, I need a line," said Celeste to break the silence. All of the girls laughed at that. Celeste looked around in genuine confusion. 

"I'd like a handful," Kriss said, gazing toward the ceiling. "A line does sound a little overwhelming." Everyone turned to America whose cheeks were flushed.

"One," said said plainly. I felt myself begin to smile, hoping she was thinking of me.

"You all are crazy," said Celeste, fanning herself with her hand.

I watched as they all began small talk about their hopes for the future, not wanting to interrupt something so important. Eventually, Elise noticed me at the door and sat up straight.

"Your Majesty," she said bowing her head. Everyone's heads whipped around, doing the same as they saw me.

"Ladies," I said nodding back. "I didn't mean to interrupt. Please, continue your conversation."

"Everything's fine," America said, never taking her shining eyes off of me. God, she is so beautiful.

"I'm glad. Again, I don't mean to intrude, but I would like to speak to America. Alone." The ladies slowly stood, gathering their dresses and made their way to the door. Kriss stopped in front of me to straighten my lapel before smiling and walking out. Celeste followed close behind, but before she left she leaned toward my ear.

"I say this as respectfully as I can, Your Majesty, but if I come back and see America crying because of anything you say to her, you'll be test subject number 13 of my jiu jitsu skills, got it?" she whispered.

"I don't think that will be necessary," I said gulping. I had no doubt she meant what she said.

"Good," she said with a brilliant smile before exiting. Once they were all gone, I shut the door and strode over to America's bed as she stood.

"What was that about?" she asked.

"Celeste was just making it clear that if I hurt you, she'd make me cry," I said with a grin. America laughed, moving closer to me.

"I've been on the other side of those nails and let me tell you, they're no joke. Be careful there."

"Yes, mom," I said jokingly. America's eyes widened for a split second, almost too fast for me to notice. I was going to point it out in confusion, but she beat me to it.

"So.." she began.

"So?"

"Are you going to do it?" she asked. I had almost forgotten why I came in here. I smirked and shook my head.

"No. It was an interesting prospect, but I don't want to start again. I rather enjoy you lot. Besides, my father doesn't know anything about August or that we've been talking with the Northern rebels and it's best to stick with them. His solutions are short sighted." America nodded and sighed in relief.

"And," I added, "you should have seen the press."

"Why? What did they say?"

"They were impressed with you once again. Your courage and your humility shone through tonight, darling. I can't tell what the exact mood of the country is right now, but things are starting to shift. It's like they can tell change might be on the horizon and they're inviting it. The king...the way he rules this country is the same way he governs me: leaving little to no room for freedom or personal choice. He forces his own on people and expects them to comply, but the country has been run like that for far too long. You're terrifying to him, America, but he can't get rid of you. The people, they adore you."

"Adore?" she asked as her eyebrows shot up. She took a seat on the bed behind her, bringing her hand to her mouth in shock.

"Yes, and I feel the same way. You know, without you I fear that I would have turned out just like him. You light a fire in me, America, one that charges for what it wants. It makes me want to stop being quiet about how I feel about things, to stop being timid about things." Most things. "So don't lose faith. This is far from over."

"Maxon, can I ask you something?" she said after absorbing the news. I nodded. "Who...this is going to sound stupid, but who's the French king's daughter?"

I could tell what she was really asking. Who was she to me. I ran my fingers through my hair and sat beside her on the bed.

"Her name is Daphne. She was my first real friend before the Selection. She was the only girl that really knew me and I thought I knew her too."

"And?" America prompted.

I let out a dry chuckle. "And I was an idiot. I realized too late that her feelings for me ran deeper than friendship, but I...I couldn't reciprocate them." Now that I had said it to her out loud, I saw some similarities between that situation and this one.

"Was there something wrong with her or..?" asked America in a small voice. I snapped my head to face her, reaching for her hand.

"America, no. Daphne was just my friend and that's all she could ever be to me." America's eyes were still cast down, avoiding eye contact.

"Hey," I said using a finger to gently lift her chin, "look at me, America." She slowly lifted her gaze to mine. "I've spent most of my life waiting for you."

Woah, Maxon way too much. Pull in the reigns, jesus.

"For all of you," I added. "This is my chance to find a wife and I've always known that. Any romantic feelings Daphne had for me were one sided. I'm sorry, I never thought to mention her to you and I'm sure the reason my father did that was to make you doubt yourself even more."

"What so you're not the blonde hair, blue eyes type then?" she asked biting her lip.

"America, stop it. You are a gorgeous young woman, one that caught my attention from the moment I lay my eyes on you. I know you compare yourself to the other Elite, to my mother, even to a version of yourself you think you should be. I watch you do it. There's no reason to. You're perfect the way you are and I admire that about you." She swallowed. I reached for her face, cupping it in my hands.

"If she had mattered, I would have told you, the same way you would with me," I reassured her. Her eyes flickered between my own and down at my lips. I leaned forward and placed a chaste kiss on her lips. I grabbed her and pulled her toward me, embracing her in a hug.

"I'll never let you go," I whispered into her hair.

a/n
anyone catch that?👀