Chapter Five: Outrage

Nikolas's POV

"Oh, Nikolas! Why give the girl five days? Are you trying to humiliate our family?" My mother asked in outrage, walking back and forth with her heels clicking in each stride. Two days has passed since the ball, and I heard no news of (y/n) yet.

Though judging by her look, she cares too much for her family to say no to my demand.

"Then reschedule it, mother! Isn't this what you wanted? I'm only doing this so you can stop blabbering about marriage!" I threw my hands up in the air out of frustration, she looked at me with a glare and crossed her arms while facing in front of me.

"I heard you threatened the girl, Nikolas. Is that true?" she raised a brow with inquiry, "Maybe, maybe not!" I shrug both of my shoulder, making her pinch the bridge of her nose as she tries to keep her composure well and calm.

"You could've pick a better maiden, Nikolas! You're holding her hostage!" mother snapped, raising her voice and turning away from me with a hand to her forehead. "Correction, mother. I'm holding her family hostage." I rolled my eyes, looking elsewhere from my chamber.

She always barge inside of my room unannounced, to either tell me about the so-called-perfect candidates or to push me out of bed to meet one of the maidens downstairs. But they were always the same. Childish, jittery and profoundly shy. They never seem to endlessly stop stuttering, like my mere presence scare them all the same. It was tiring.

To have a wife who gets scared just by looking at them would be terror. "First the cook, the maid, then one of the sentinels and now what?" she looked at me with a frown plastered on her face, "Your potential partner's family? My, Nikolas! What if your father finds out about this!" she clenched both of her fists with agitation.

"Your reputation is already a jenga, Nikolas! If you abuse your power, I have no choice but to let you die in exile and forfeit your title as crowned prince," she looked at me at the corner of her eye with death lingering through the air from her stern stare, "And instead let your brother Aleksander ascend the throne." she added as I clenched both of my fists.

I forced out a smile, trying to hide my fiery rage and stood up from the bed. "Don't worry, mother. I know for sure (y/n) would be crawling towards me , just give me five days before the voyage." I replied in a soft tone.

"Tell me, Nikolas. Why do you like the girl?" she asked with a puzzled look, making her question loud and clear to make it unavoidable to ignore. "(Y/n) is an interesting woman, that's all." I answered back with a stony tone, avoiding my mothers gaze.

"Charming." she replied back, walking pass me as the doors from my room opened, taking her leave. I did not look back and instead only looked out of the window, seeing the stables of horses as Aleksander came to view. I scoffed at the sight of him and withdrew the curtains of the windows.

I stepped out of my room with a big, charming smile to see a tall, milky skin man with honey brown eyes and the hair color of ebony walking towards me with a small smile as he waved a hand, it was one of my friends and comrade whom I grew a brotherly relationship with.

"Maven, bring the horses and flowers! We're going to visit my fiancé!"