Chapter 27

Chapter 27

On Monday, I invited Anna over after school. I haven't hung out with her since that situation with Kelsey in the school hallway.

"Is Simon home?" She asked.

"No." It was kind of obvious since his car wasn't in the driveway. "Why?"

"No reason." Anna rolled her shoulders back. "Actually, I do want to talk to you about something."

"What about?" I started to take my homework out of my backpack, laying it out on the counter.

"Wayne."

It took everything in my power to not pause at his name. She probably doesn't know anything, I told myself. Just act like you don't either.

"What's his deal?" I said, nonchalantly.

"Why weren't you at Wayne's birthday parties?"

Our friends have this tradition where whenever one of us has a birthday, we sneak into clubs on their weekend. Everyone goes, but Wayne and I forgot to plan around this; we thought no one would suspect anything.

"Simon has been being an ass lately," I covered up the truth, "and I didn't want to hang out with him on purpose. Also, none of my friends went."

"I was there."

"Well, I didn't know that." I frowned. "I'm sorry, if I knew you were, I would have gone."

"Anyways," Anna continued, "Wayne left at, like, midnight. Why would he leave?"

"The question is who did he leave with." I pulled out two bottles of water from the fridge and handed her one. "Was Anderson flirting with someone?"

"Yeah," Anna shrugged, settling into a bar stool.

"Really?" Anna nodded her answer. "What did they look like?"

"Tall, beautiful bronze skin, long hair in a sleek ponytail, skinny-"

"Okay, I get it," I interrupted.

Someone walked through the door. I rounded the corner and saw Simon on his phone and Wayne right behind him. Wayne ran his hand through his messy hair and smirked at me.

I got flashbacks of his mouth pleasing me. Kissing me, leaving a thousand hickeys. The groans and commands that rolled off his tongue.

"Hey." I gulped and walked back to the kitchen.

"Speak of the devil," Anna leaned forward and whispered.

Simon looked up. "You guys talking about me?" He asked smugly.

"Sure," I said sarcastically, patting him on the back.

"No," Anna cut in. "We were discussing why the birthday boy left his own party."

Wayne's eyes slid to mine. I took a drink of my water and rolled my eyes. He leaned against the counter next to me.

"How interesting," he scoffed. "How far have you two gotten in this investigation?"

Anna narrowed her eyes. "We will not release any information about our case to the unsub."

Wayne furrowed his brows at me. "Criminal Minds," I clarified and he nodded.

I twiddled my thumbs and realized how flustered I get when he's around. Basically whenever he is near or on top of me, I lose my mind.

"Since you are here all the time," I teased Wayne, "don't you think you should get your own room here?"

"I'd rather stay in yours."

Everyone froze. Holy shit. The thick tension in the air weighed down on my shoulders. How are we supposed to move past this?

"What?" I broke the silence.

He scoffed, brushing it off. "You have the biggest room, and the biggest bed."

"How do you know what her bed looks like?" Simon asked.

I want to choke Wayne so bad right now. And not in the good way.

He smiled, seeming to enjoy himself. "I know where you keep the keys to the rooms during parties."

I gave him a confused look. "What would you be doing in my-"

Oh. Now, I understand. I clenched my jaw and squeezed the closed water bottle in my hand. Simon slapped a hand over his mouth.

Anna laughed like a maniac. "I think the question is who-"

"Okay, Anna, we get it." I kept my head down, avoiding Wayne's gaze.

~

Anna left after we finished our homework. We both were having trouble with math, so we struggled together.

I stayed in my room for the rest of the night, texting Wayne.

SnapChat

ME

-----

you need to learn how to keep your mouth shut anderson

WAYNE

-------------

and you need to find better ways to use yours freeman

ME

-----

i'll see you in hell

WAYNE

------------

and I'll see you on your knees for me

Fuck.

Me.

Hard.