Chapter 42

Three more days, I said to myself. Only three more days until I finish the dreadful years of high school, and off to college. I still haven't decided what school I'd be attending.

"Ms. Garland? The answer please?" Mr. Buchanan called from the front of the room, raising his eyebrows.

"Um," I stuttered, returning from my daydream state and glancing at my notes, "The Industrial Revolution?"

"Ms. Garland, we are finishing up the chapter of World War II, not the Industrial Revolution." He sighed. "I know you've all finished your SAT's and finals, but we have to finish reading this chapter-"

Binggg! The bell sounded.

Rusting of papers, and scratching chairs filled the room as students hurried out of the classroom. Currently, I had no friends at Groveman High. Mandy wasn't an option, and I was ignoring Alex to the best of my ability. I could survive three more days without a walking buddy in the hallways.

When I reached lunch, I glanced around the crowded cafeteria for a place to sit. Feeling slightly like the new kid, I just decided to eat outside.

Sitting down on one of the vacant picnic table, I bit into an apple Lucy had packed me.

"Lindsey."

Recognizing the voice, I snatched my brown paper bag and started to stand, when Alex put a hand on my arm.

"Please," he pleaded with his eyes, "Let me explain."

"I'm not in the mood to deal with you right now." I answered nonchalantly, glaring.

"Five minutes. Just give me five minutes, and if you still don't want to associate with me, I won't talk to you ever again." Alex reasoned, his eyes wide.

I contemplated this, and slowly lowered myself to the bench. "Five minutes."

He nodded, sitting across from me and pressing his lips together. "I'll start from the beginning."

I didn't reply, and watched him continue.

"As you know, I'm not very close with my dad or his relatives. One of his brothers was just arrested and put in prison-"

"Walter?" I interrupted, wincing. This man was in prison, and he even found a way to ruin my adoption.

Alex looked taken back. "Yeah.. How do you know him anyway?"

"Doesn't matter." I said dismissively.

He shook his head. "Well anyway, Uncle Walter knows I live in Chicago, and for some reason he knows you and your whereabouts."

I clenched my jaw. Hellen must've told him by accident.

"So," he paused, looking guilty, "He promised me that if I ruined your adoption, he'd help my dad's and I relationship."

"This still doesn't make sense," I shook my head, "So, when you first met me that day in the hallway.."

"When you told me your name, I knew who you were-yes." He finished.

My breathing increased with sadness. "So you pretended to be friends with me, get me to invite you to my house, and than complain false complaints about my family to the police?"

Alex averted his eyes. "Yes, in the beginning. But as I became to know you-I really started to care about you, Lindsey. You're the one good friend I've had in a long time."

"Maybe because you do twisted stuff like this." I hissed, not feeling bad at all.

"I felt really bad about telling the police those things. I almost didn't, but that day my dad was yelling at me and insulting me. I remembered why I had agreed to Uncle Walter's deal in the first place, and it just happened." He tried to reason, scratching his head with a look of pure sorrow and regret plastered onto his face.