Sixteen

It's been a week since Nandini returned home and Manan confessed. Manik was better now but still his protective nature, his possessiveness for Nandini never changed. Afterall, he's the Manik Malhotra! Oops, no! He is Mr. Majnu Malhotra as per Cabir.

The way Manik was being around Nandini and handle her, Cabir has named him as a 'Majnu'. No doubt, after his naming ceremony there was a tom & jerry show in Malhotra Mansion which everyone enjoyed with a hearty laugh. Everything was falling at it's place. Malhotras were trying their best to distract Nandini and keep her happy. They were actually getting successful as Nandini was enjoying their pampering, their love, their care. Even if they scold her, she never felt bad as it was always due to their concern towards her health. She felt blessed to have them all in her life.

It was evening and Ritesh had called her to ask about her well being. Both father daughter were busy in talking. Nandini was sitting on the swing in their balcony while Manik was in room, completing some presentation in his laptop. He was sitting in such a way that he could keep checking on her time to time.

Phone conversation -

"Yes papa. I am good. What about you?".

"I am also good, princess. If you're good then I am happiest."

Nandini smiled hearing Ritesh. Suddenly she got silent.

"Papa.."

"Yes baby?"

"How's.. how's Maa?" She asked but heard a gasp which was surely not by her father. She clutched the mobile tightly in her hand.

There was a silence for few seconds.

"Umm..yeah. She's fine." Replied Ritesh. Nandini suddenly felt uneasy.

"Hmm.. ok. I think, I should keep the phone. Manik must be waiting for me." Said Nandini when she heard few whispers from the call.

"Haan yes. You, don't have headaches anymore, right? And how's your hand? It was having swelling due to continuous IV. Is it okay now?" Nandini didn't need rocket science to know who asked all this. She suddenly felt heavy and her eyes turned moist.

"I.. I am alright papa. No headache or swelling. Ok now bye. I have to go. Take care. Love you." Saying this she immediately ended the call even before Ritesh could reply her back properly.

She sat there in silence trying to compose herself. She was confused with her own emotions. Her mother cared for her first time after all these years. How should she feel? She should feel happy that she still cared or should feel angry that why now? After so many years?

Manik saw her sitting quietly, lost in her own thoughts and called her from room.

"Nandini.."

Hearing his voice, Nandini jerked out of her thoughts and composed herself. Putting smile on her face she came inside the room.

"Yes Manik?" Manik looked at her face and found something is wrong. He kept the laptop aside.

"Come here.." Said Manik raising his hand. Nandini gave her hand in his silently and he pulled her gently in his lap. Nandini sat there silently putting her head on his chest, clutching his tshirt in her fist tight. Manik pecked her forehead and caressed her hairs. She closed her eyes feeling his warmth.

"What's wrong honey? You okay?" Asked Manik softly. Nandini bobbed her head.

"I am sleepy." She mewed. Manik looked at her worried.

"Are you feeling dizzy or headache? Should we visit doctor?" He asked getting panic. Nandini shook her head and pressed his hand in assurance.

"I am fine, Manik. It's just that medicines make me feel sleepy all the time. You know right?" Asked Nandini on which Manik nodded reluctantly. He wasn't convinced still.