Love at First Letter - 20

Chapter Twenty

I was tired. Having only slept a few hours last night and being forced to pack up everything for the plane ride to Georgia, I was in desperate need of coffee. I had thrown my hair into a bun at the top of my head and I had no make up on my face. I was in a pair of sweatpants and one of my father's old Army sweatshirts. I wasn't in the mood for a plane ride, all I wanted to do was sleep.

Sarah had one of her friends drive us to airport so she didn't have to worry about her car. I smiled when I saw Brett and his sisters standing there waiting for us. I had to force myself out of the warm car and into the brisk morning. We pulled our suitcases out of the back of car and I was thankful I only had one suitcase and a carry on.

I stood in front of Brett who without saying anything handed me a cup of coffee and I smiled up at him appreciatively. Brandy and Brittany already had their coffee in hand and Brett handed Sarah hers. "I really need this." I say to him as we walk into the airport and make our way through security.

it didn't take us long to get through security and when we arrived at our gate our plane had just arrived so we went straight to our seats. Courtesy of Sarah, Brett and I were seated next to each other with Brett by the window and me by the aisle. It was a small plane seeing as the flight was only going to be about forty-five minutes. Sarah was across the aisle sitting by herself and Brittany and Brandy were both seated in front of us.

I could hear the sister's whispering back and forth but couldn't make out what they were saying.

"You know, you still look beautiful without all the makeup." It took just these few words from Brett to make the butterflies in my stomach flutter and my cheeks to flame. I was aware of how bad I looked this morning and the huge bags that were underneath my eyes but he didn't seem to mind.

Brett and I sat in silence while the flight attendants made their rounds to make sure everything was secure and then went through their spiel safety. Once we were high in the sky I unbuckled by seat belt and folded my legs underneath me.

"You know before going to the military, I had never been on a plane. In fact, before the military, I had never been outside of Georgia."

"Never?" I asked him finding that hard to believe.

"Never. We didn't really need to leave the state and we never really had the money to go anywhere either. Now that we make more money and my mother finally got a job we have more money and can afford going out of state."

"Was this your sister's first time leaving Georgia?" I ask him and peek over the seat to see that both of his sister's were reading their own magazines and were sharing on headphone and bobbing their heads to the music.

"Yeah and they loved the trip."

"Well I'm glad." I peek out behind Brett and out into the clouds. I always loved flying, although it had always made my mother very sick. She would have to take a lot of medicine before she got in a plane and even then she kept a puke bag in hand, which she always ended up looking. She was always a very motion sickness prone women and it didn't help that she really didn't like heights. She couldn't look out the window and any bump of turbulence had her clenching on the seats or onto my father's hand.

My father on the other hand loved to fly, and he loved being the pilot. It was one of his favorite things to do. He had owned his own plane and would always take me out up in it. It was smaller plane but perfect for the two of us. He had told me he would teach me how to fly but we never got the chance.