21 Confrontation

Chapter 21

I was shocked when Lucas called at night.

"Why are you calling me?" I ask, scrunching my eyebrows at the blue fuzzy socks I'm wearing.

Moulin Rouge plays on TV. It's at the part where Satine tries to seduce Christian, but Christian breaks into a song. The way he looks at her, like she's this precious gem, makes me squeeze the pillow to my chest. She's in a bedazzled lingerie, but he looks at her like she's an angel.

"Just wanted to let you know, that I'll join you for dinner tomorrow." Lucas says on the other end. His voice is deep and it quickens my breath.

"I don't need the favor. It's crossing the line." I decline softly. I really don't want him to convince me on this. The guilt and humiliation of the situation is bad enough. "I know I asked, but I blurt things out that I don't mean. I know that's not an excuse, but-" I shut my eyes with a groan. "This is why... I stick to numbers on an excel sheet."

"Relax, would you? It's me you're talking to. You blurt things out, and I, apparently, don't say enough." He comforts from the other end. "Besides, I'm down for free food."

I laugh. "Yeah, right. You're not the freeloader type."

"Who lied to you? I work for my brother-in-law. I get all the perks without the hassle."

"Yeah, yeah. I've seen you at work. You're tougher than me when you want to be."

"Well, thanks. I'm glad you've been checking me out."

"I have excellent observational skills. Don't flatter yourself."

"I'll flatter myself all I want, mind your own business."

"Are we done?" I ask, a contradicting smile on my lips. I bite them to stop.

"Am I getting fed tomorrow?"

"Lucas..."

"Yeah, say my name."

I laugh again. "Shut up!"

"Jokes aside, I don't mind at all. But I get why you feel uncomfortable. So, let's figure out what you need to not feel so... indebted by my angelic presence."

I take a deep breath, thinking. "You can come on one condition."

Come. Stop. Bad Layla. Stop.

"Continue?" He presses.

My chest gets hot as if he can actually read my thoughts. "In return, you will answer my questions with complete honesty and detail. That way I will compile an analysis on you, and tell you where you should focus. And also! Maybe, maybe you won't even need my analysis. Maybe just talking it out will already help you see things clearer. What do you say?"

"Why is it so important for you to help people?"

"You've already asked me that before..."

"True..."

Silence passes between us. I don't mind it at all.