chapter 4

[act one; chapter four     -     love it and hate it]

    A red comet struck the sky that night, marring the indigo sky and slicing through the stars, breaking them into atoms once more. Returning them to the essence from which they were created. To the place of their creation. Home.

     Percy Jackson sat on the dock at Camp Half-Blood, a place that was certainly not his home, his feet dipped in the water. All he wished for, in that moment, was for contact, as if something miraculous would happen at the touch of his skin against the water that appeared to be his fathers home. His domain. But as expected, nothing did; while he hadn't expected anything from it, it remained disappointing.

    "You know there are people you can talk to right?"

    He didn't have to turn to recognize the rough, yet incredibly inquisitive voice of a certain girl that caused his heart to peak in rate. He could tell, even in her presence, that it was her. Perhaps it was the energy that she carried or perhaps it was the raw power that she held in the palm of her hands; something which felt like the power of sun within the palm of a hand. The one that reminded him of the power he felt in his veins just the previous night. He didn't know which, if any, just that it was there, and that it was almost a shock to his system. Almost.

    Andromeda Storm sat beside him. The sandals that she wore hung dangerously loose on her feet, not quite touching the water. The toe box, as it barely contacted the surface, created the smallest ripples. He heard her sigh, her body shifting, but instead of turning to face her as he assumed she did to him, he did the opposite. He stared straight ahead, his eyes set on the Long Island Sound.

    "I knew who my father was for as long as I could remember. A long time before I ever met him." She said quietly. This alone led to Percy turning to her, though she was no longer looking at him but rather at the water as he previously had. "I'm lucky because of that; not many people get that luxury. My mom always told stories about a man with the most beautiful, purple eyes. He could tell you the best bedtime stories and make amazing food from all over the world, but he only ever drank one thing. She would tell me how he never lost at a board game and could always tell you what happened in a movie before it actually did. Like he knew what was coming when no one else did. Even though I hadn't met him until I came here, I always knew him. From my dreams. And sometimes, on rare occasions, I would remember them and sometimes I didn't, but I always had my mom for that. He wasn't...around a lot. Ever, really."

    Percy managed a small smile at her talking about her mother. It made him feel a little better, as if he wasn't so alone; that, maybe, there was at least one person in the entire world who understood the loss of the only parent you've ever known. Even though, in the back of his mind, something was screaming at him that he wasn't alone. While he was a single person among the billions on Earth, there were others like him. Maybe not the same experiences, but ones that were incredibly similar. It made that small hole he had found in his heart a little smaller.