1. It Started With A Letter

The city streets were nearly empty, everyone hid from freezing rain falling from the thick clouds that hid the moon from view. Some people were not so lucky. On this side of the city, most people were slumped over in the alleyways, waiting for the storm to pass.

Hannah was one of these people.

Rain glued blonde hair to her face, it stuck in front of her mouth, eyes, everywhere. She glared down at her shoes as they squelched on the pavement, the storm managed to soak through her jeans, boots, and socks. Her toes were frozen, and her fingers were following suit. Hannah kept her hands balled up into fists in the pockets of her jacket, the collar was popped in a feeble attempt to help keep her warm. It was failing miserably.

A crack of lightning illuminated the abandoned street while thunder screamed overhead, the rain poured harder. Behind her, a figure ducked out from the alley, the blade of their knife gleamed as the lightning struck once more. Hannah didn't notice.

The girl paused at the street corner to brush the hair out of her face. She turned to her right and began to walk faster as home came into view. The figure began to run. 

Three more blocks. Three more blocks. Stupid legs, walk faster, just three more blo-

The figure's hand clamped down onto Hannah's collar and pulled her into an alley. With a knife inches from her throat, and one hand pushing against her collarbones, Hannah was pinned against the brick wall.

"There's my favourite gal, I was wondering when I'd see you again," the attacker spoke. Hannah tried to swallow the lump that rose to her throat. She knew exactly who the voice belonged to, he had been terrorizing her every week for the past five years. With his face only inches from her own, his lips curled into a sinister smile. The downpour had flattened his own dark hair against his fair skin, dark eyes shone like hellfire.

"Get off, Tony, I don't have any money," she said quickly. Her teeth began to chatter while he chuckled. "There she is, I was beginning to think you went mute."

Tony towered over her as he brought his blade towards the side of her neck. Hannah clamped her teeth down on her tongue. "Besides," he said, "you know I'm not here for money."

Her own lips turned into a snarl while she tried to free herself from his grip. It was no use, Tony was at least fifty pounds heavier than her, and four years older. When she spoke, she spat each word like venom. 

"Really? You're still goin' on about this? I don't know where he is."

Tony was no longer smiling. Instead, he pushed the blade of his knife against her throat and watched as it began to bleed. "I know when you're lying, Hannah."

Thunder screamed again while Tony removed his knife from her throat. Scarlet blood dripped from the wound, over her jacket, and onto the cement. Hannah's fist came flying from her pocket and managed to connect with the older boy's cheek. Immediately, her fingers began to ache. If she had broken them, she had no idea. The girl turned to run before Tony's hand wrapped around her hair and pulled her back. At the same time, her boots slipped upon the wet concrete, and she fell to the ground. Tony really towered over her now.

"I don't get why you're being so stubborn about this, Hannah. I just want to know where he ran off to. But no you decide that this stupid little secret is worth getting the shit beaten out of you every week. I hate to break it to you, doll, but your time is almost out." He raised his boot as if to stomp on her when the wail of sirens filled the street.

Tony slipped into the darkness and left her there.

The police came closer as Hannah struggled to pull herself from the ground. Just as she began to sit up, a car pulled in front of the alley and a voice filled the night.