Chapter 48

"Earlier tonight I killed a man with my own hands, my family was killed by the officer I trusted as my bodyguard and I...killed him" Whiteley admitted and Albert frowned.

"Reasons notwithstanding, the fact that I killed a man and a police officer at that, it will be fair game for my political rivals" Whiteley explained "Never mind passing my bill, the pathway to bringing equality to this nation will now be completely cut off, if only I could atone for this with my own life, Pandora you said you can help me with that."

"That's why you called me here (name)" William walked over to us and I nodded.

"Who are you?" Whiteley asked him.

"I am Albert's younger brother, William" He answered.

"Younger brother? You have a brother, too?" He asked surprised.

"(name) did too but.." Albert looked to me.

"I was informed" He nodded.

"I thank you for telling this to us when you are in such grief, you have been set up by someone Mr Whiteley" William informed him "This person is attempting to thwart the realisation of equality in this country by driving you to commit murder, in other words, you have been exploited."

"That's one way to put it but the choice to lower myself to committing murder was my own" Whiteley shook his head.

"But putting someone in that situation is a bigger sin" I hissed.

"Its all over for me now" He had a sad smile on his face.

"It is not over just yet, if you truly intend to atone for your crime with your death then I would like to request your life" William held out his hand and Whiteley was surprised.

"Give my life to you?" Whiteley asked.

"This country weltering in inequality still needs a hope for equality, if your crime ever comes to light then that hope will turn into despair, and the pathway to equality will fall to pieces" William explained.

"But even if I die it won't blot out my crime" He retorted.

"I will take on your sins so you won't have any regrets" I spoke up surprising him.

"We will" Albert held out his hand to me, my injured hand was behind my back and I was using my other one for my cane so he was confused that I didn't take his hand.

He looked a little like a neglected puppy.

"You will die playing the part of this country's saviour, I would like you to consider that to be your final penance" William explained.

"But why? Why on earth would you willingly take the blame for my crime? And volunteer to play the villain?" Whiteley freaked out mostly at me.

"I..." I stopped not wanting to explain and the pain in my hand was starting to affect me.

William came over to me and lifted my chin so I would look at him "I smell blood, are you okay?" He asked.

Albert flinched and I sighed then showed my hand, William took off Fred's scarf that was wrapped around my hand and frowned.

"I'm sorry you got hurt because of me if it leaves a scar..." Whiteley mumbled.

"Doesn't matter if it does or does not, it will only be a reminder that you survived and you're still with us so it will be beautiful" Albert held my hand in his and kissed the back of it making me flinch a little from the pain.

William took my cane and held my other hand and they both took me towards Louis who was in the back watching "To answer your question Mr Whiteley, it is because we are the Lord of Crime" William informed him.