(21) You'll See Me

Maddox || Aurielle

To say Aurielle was nervous would be an understatement

To say Aurielle was nervous would be an understatement. She was finally going to meet the face behind the profile. She was fidgeting and her heart was racing.

She walked towards her mirror for what seemed like the umpteenth time that day, meticulously checking her appearance. Her brown hair cascaded down, framing her face, and she had chosen a casual yet stylish outfit—a Mickey Mouse top paired with blue ripped jeans and vibrant red Converse shoes. With a minimal amount of makeup, she wanted to look effortlessly beautiful.

After ensuring she had everything she needed, Aurielle left her room and made her way to the sitting room. Her gaze immediately fell on her father, whose gray hair stood out amidst his busyness with the laptop. She approached him gently, seeking his approval.

"Dad," she called, her voice filled with a mix of hope and hesitation. "I have a date tonight. I told you yesterday. May I?"

He nodded absentmindedly, returning his attention to the laptop once again, leaving her with a sigh of mixed emotions. Lately, he had been preoccupied with work, leaving Aurielle longing for his presence and support.

She stepped out of her house, the hard roads guiding her towards their meeting spot. With every stride, her mind cleared, and the distance between them felt smaller. Determination welled up inside her, overpowering the nerves that had plagued her earlier. Her heart fluttered at the thought of finally hearing him speak.

As she walked, her thoughts wandered to her friends and their reactions when she had finally revealed the truth. Addison had responded with understanding and maturity, whereas Riley couldn't resist sharing the news with half the school's population. Aurielle grappled with conflicting emotions—self-disgust for having lied, yet a sense of self-empowerment for finally being honest.

She thought about Maddox; his name alone sent her heart racing, igniting a whirlwind of emotions within her. He had made her realize her true self, and she couldn't wait to see him, to be in his presence.

A few minutes later, she got to the park. its serene ambiance enhanced by the nightfall. Soon, the shadows of the trees would blend into the darkness, and their silhouettes against the sky would become unnoticeable. 

It was at this moment that she realized she had no idea how to find him. Running her hands through her hair in slight frustration, she reached for her phone and sent him a text.

I'm at the park but I don't know where you are.

She found a bench under a tree, taking a seat and patiently waiting for his reply. The wind gently blew, rustling the leaves and creating scattered piles on the ground. Before long, her phone buzzed, signaling a message.

 Before long, her phone buzzed, signaling a message

I'm at the pond. I have earphones on.

I wouldn't mind more information?

You'll see me when you do.

With a renewed sense of purpose, she rose from the now-comfortable bench and made her way to the pond, taking careful steps to remain unnoticed until the right moment

As she approached, she watched him from a distance, captivated by his movements. There was something about him—a blend of a cloud-like aura and gentle demeanor—that made her heart reach out.

She bit her lip, contemplating how to start a conversation when they had never spoken in person before. But before she could turn away with shyness, his eyes met hers. In that instant, a genuine grin spread across his face, transforming him from handsome to divine.

He must be used to it, she thought - the sudden halt in a person's facial expression when they looked in his direction, accompanied by a weak smile and then a blush, which was a dead give-away.

He stood up from the bench and approached her, embracing her warmly. "Hey."

At that moment she felt her body flush warm. This was a person she wanted to know more than anyone else, the same person who got so worked up about a breakup when he probably had girls falling at his feet.

Taken aback by his courageous move, she struggled to find her words. "H-hi," she stammered, her voice revealing her nervousness.

"You don't have to be nervous. It's just me." His voice, deep and comforting, was something she could easily get used to. Nodding in response, she followed his lead and made her way to the nearby bench.

As they both sat down, she noticed his mouth moving, but her attention was captivated by his appearance. He wore a white shirt paired with black jeans. Their resemblance struck her—both had blue eyes, freckles, and brown hair, although his shade was slightly lighter.

"Are you even listening?" His voice broke through her reverie, causing her to jump slightly.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention," she admitted, feeling embarrassed.

"I mentioned that it's getting late. We should leave." He extended his hand, and she hesitantly took it, allowing him to guide her.

Together, they walked on, and after a few minutes, they arrived at their destination.

"You have a treehouse?" Aurielle couldn't hide her childlike excitement. He nodded, chuckling at her youthful wonder.

Without any further prompt, she found herself climbing into the wooden structure, her jaw dropping at the sight of the interior. Though not spacious, the space was thoughtfully utilized. It exuded a cozy, relaxed atmosphere, enhanced by the soft glow of dangling lights. Aurielle's attention was instantly drawn to the bookshelf at the far end of the room—an unexpected revelation about Maddox's passion for reading.

"You read?" she asked, her curiosity seeking confirmation.

"That I do." Maddox walked towards the windows, opening them slightly to let in the fresh air. Once satisfied, he settled himself on the couch. "What do you want to do?"

Following his lead, Aurielle took a seat as well. "I want to catch up on everything I missed. Just talk to me."

And so they talked, their connection growing stronger with each passing moment. As the night progressed, Aurielle found herself drifting off, her head gently resting on Maddox's shoulder, feeling safe and content in his presence.