2. Verna & Charlie

After spending her last night in New York in a prison cell, Hannah's feet hit the pavement at a dead sprint. She wasn't scared, but if Tony and his henchmen were still prowling the streets, she didn't want to be there when Tony found her again.

Twenty-four blocks later, Hannah's ugly apartment building home finally came into view. The building was definitely one of the older buildings, the front door into the lobby didn't even open anymore. Hannah moved around to the side of the building and began to climb up the fire escape. The railings and steps were slick with dew, the sun had yet to peak out from the clouds.

After climbing six out of twelve storeys, Hannah recognized her apartment. Her mother was an absent-minded person, so it came as no surprise to Hannah when the window slid open. As quietly as possible, she ducked inside. The window was directly across from the door, with the kitchen and dining table on her left. To her right was a narrow hallway that led to the bedrooms and bathroom. Beside the hallway was her mother, sitting on a brown sofa, staring at their broken t.v.

Verna Winston never planned on getting married, at least not at fifteen. She didn't plan on marrying some smooth-talking gambler from the coast, no matter how handsome he was. Verna didn't plan on having his son when she was seventeen and having his daughter three years later. But here she was, sitting on her sofa, still wearing her dress from the night before. Charlie Winston said he loved her and took off with the little money she had. He still came home every few days, like last night. That's when Hannah took off. Charlie waltzed into her home, letters and bills in hand. He came into her home and threatened to kill her when she tried to kick him out.

Hannah yelled at him, too. That's when Verna burst into tears, cursing herself for loving him. No matter what he did, he always came back, knocking at the door. No matter what he did, Verna still let him in. Charlie was asleep in the bedroom, his drunken snores filled her home.

Hannah stood behind her mother and began pulling out the pins that held her hair in a bun at the top of her head. Dallas looked like Charlie, with almost white hair, a dangerous smile. Hannah looked like Verna. Her mother's hair used to be strawberry blonde, it was mostly grey now. Verna kept her hair long, it fell over her chest and effectively hid the bruises on her neck. Hannah never asked if they were from her father, or the men Verna sang for every night. She didn't want to know. Hannah's hair fell over her shoulders and over her collarbones. Now that all the pins were out, she sat beside her mother.

Makeup still coated her face, dark eyeshadow and lipstick were smeared here and there. Verna still hadn't acknowledged her daughter's presence. Hannah knew why, she wouldn't speak while Charlie was home. Even after he leaves, it will take a day or two before she even clears her throat.

The realization suddenly struck. Hannah faced her mother. I might never hear your voice again.

Hannah rose from the sofa and moved towards her bedroom.

The room was windowless with a bare mattress in the farthest corner of the room. She used to share this bedroom with her brother. Every morning Hannah would reach around the mattress with her eyes still closed, grasping desperately for Dallas. Five years had passed, and she still couldn't break the habit.

Across from her bed was the closet, it held a single cardboard box she had filled with her clothes. Hannah dropped to her knees on the cold wooden floor and started to sort through what she wanted to bring. After an hour, Hannah had four neat piles in front of her. "Three pairs of jeans, two skirts, two sweatshirts, pyjamas, socks and underwear, shirts..." her voice stopped when the floorboards creaked. Verna stood in the doorway, a puzzled look on her face.

Hannah rose from the floor looking sheepish. "I can't stay, Ma'. I-I got a place to go, though. I'm leaving tonight."

Verna and Hannah locked eyes, they were identical. Cool blue eyes that were always wondering. Now they just looked empty.