January//32

January: The first month of the year, in the northern hemisphere usually considered the second month of winter.
————————————————————

"Jack, how many times do you have to eat a day?"

"Three times a week."

(Y/N) turned towards Jack, confusion rather evident on her face. She stopped putting groceries in the fridge, now focused on the boy relaxed on the couch. The two looked at each other for a while, neither of them blinking.

"Wh- How?" she questioned. Jack shook his head slightly as to ask her what she meant by that.

"How are you alive- I mean, there haven't been any murders recently and I've seen like maybe two cases of people missing one kidney over the past two months."

"That's none of your concern." He spoke, turning his head back to the TV.

What does he mean by "that's none of your concern"? Of course it is!

"Excuse me? Look Jack, I don't want the police on my ass because of your secrecy. I think that you're forgetting that me and you aren't in the same worlds. If you want me to protect your identity you better start talking. If something ever happens I don't want to pull lies out of my ass unprepared."

She heard Jack sigh. Continuing to stare at him, she began tapping the floor with her foot, impatience flowing through her body. She realized then just how little she knew.

(Y/N) was aware that she didn't know much about the man besides how he looked like and a couple of other things, but it only hit her now that all he was to her is one page of a whole encyclopedia. The girl knew his dark past, but didn't know what he did to stay from the radar for so long.

"I've got connections. I can't return to what I usually do yet because of the police. They still didn't close the case, so I need to go my way around it. Happy?"

"What connections?"

"I can't tell you that, it would put your life in danger." As if that didn't happen before, she thought.

"How would it put my life in danger?"

She was really testing his patience at this point, and she knew that but there was no way she'd stop now. They've been in each other's lives for two and a half months and Jack would never even try to fill her in with some of the things he does. It was annoying.

"Just how those letters put you in danger. The research you've done on me, all of it. Who knows what you'd do if I told you about my connections."

"I'm pretty sure I've learned my lesson with you. I wouldn't try anything."

"You're lying."

Touché. He knows I would question him about those people until I'm satisfied.

Deciding to drop that subject, she continued with her task, moving on to another question.

"Where do you live when you aren't here?" she could tell she was getting on his nerves, but she didn't care. He owed her the answers, and he knew that.

"I have a cottage on the other side of the forest, but I am not using it right now, so I live in a shed somewhat near you."

(Y/N) wanted to ask if he would take her there, but she knew he would say no. Also, she didn't forget when he came to her house bloody and wounded that night, there was no way in hell she'd risk meeting whatever wounded him.