Chapter 8: Kalace

OH, YEAH.

WATTPAD, WHAT'S GOOD????

COMMENT YOUR FAVORITE SONG RN OR YOU'RE FAKE. This song attached is currently one of my favs. ;)

Enjoy the chapter!! Don't forget to leave LOTS of feedback, vote, and share this story everywhere!!

P.S- I MADE A TIKTOK. I KNOW. I REQUIRE SUPPORT SO PLEASE FOLLOW IT LOL. Username is katrocks247 (shocker)

Cruentas trotted through the stone streets of Rome, a bustling place of trade and commerce. Vendors shouted for business, exchanging money for food, clothing, and other goods, while women and men browsed and bargained with other social exchanges.

Alexandru propelled Cruentas into a quicker trot around a building, leading us into an expansive open area with no vendors or buildings.

I looked ahead at the massive stone structure in the distance in awe at the sight of the Colosseum ahead. The arena was enormous and stood four stories tall, made of pillars and arched windows in a circular dome-like shape of a stadium. Seeing it up close surpassed any expectation I had for what the arena would look like, considering all I'd ever seen of Roman arenas were broken down and aged structure in my history textbook in high school.

"It's beautiful," I muttered.

Men wearing Roman helmets and armor walked the streets with cold, stern expressions. They turned their heads in our direction as we passed, nodding to Alexandru.

I startled as what sounded like an elephant erupted through the open space. Sure enough, four elephants were being practically dragged across the stone pathway by multiple men. Their grey sightly wrinkled skin looked too cracked and dry from the sun, and as dressed up as their backs were with bright colored fabrics, I could see bloody lacerations in their arms and necks from the harnesses digging into their skin. They were clearly in distress, and I raged inside, reminding myself that this place was just as beautiful as it was gruesome.

"Welcome to the heart of the city," Alexandru said in an unemotional voice, after we'd passed three massive lions in cages being taunted by guards. "Where the people are as cold as the dead beneath the ground."

The sun beat down on the bustling crowd of civilians around us, where people of all ages gathered in excitement in front of the Colosseum, their voices cascading over one another's. Guards in heavy military armor of red cloth and brown leather bore swords at their sides, acting as barricades to the rowdy crowd, while monitoring the enter entrance of the Colosseum.

Alexandru reached out from behind me on the saddle to lift the layer of fabric over my tunic fold it over my nose. "Stay hidden," he murmured at my ear.

Chariots with proud horses parted through the crowd with us, emptying people I perceived as richer, women and men with silken robes and prim wigs that made the rest of the attenders look much poorer in hygiene.

Cruentas bore a blanket beneath his saddle that resembled some of the other horses. Alexandru jumped down from Cruentas and met a man halfway who appeared to be a slave in dirty clothes. Alexandru dug into his bag and produced a handful of coins to pass to the man.

"You will make sure Cruentas is sheltered and treated well until I return, Helvius," Alexandru said, with a surprising amount of threat in his commanding voice.

The man's expression wavered briefly with nervousness. He stuffed the coins into his bag and slugged over his shoulder. "As always, he shall be ever happier upon your return. May the gods be with you today, my champion."