Chapter 8.3 (Part 1)

"I still don't understand why we can't do Phantom of the Opera." Marlene Smith, who, twenty years earlier, had served a year as Mis Junior Honoria, spoke plaintively on the following Sunday afternoon. "I've always really identified with Christine, you know?"

   Jane didn't laugh—but it wasn't easy. Marlene was long past playing ingenue roles, and as far as her play suggestion... "I really don't think that's a possibility, Marlene. We'd probably better stick with something simpler for our first production."

   Marlene sighed, but conceded, "You're the expert."

   Jane didn't feel particularly like an expert—especially when it came to organizing a community theater from scratch—but she hid her uncertainty behind a confident smile. "I'll bring several plays to our next meeting. If anyone else has any recommendations, please feel free to bring them along."

   The seven aspiring actors and techies Marlene had assembled for the first organizational meeting of the Honoria Community Theater nodded eagerly, watching Jane as if she was their wise guru and they her faithful followers. She knew that would wear off when they'd spent more time together, but she was rather enjoying the treatment now.

   "Okay, so I'll see everyone here next week. And feel free to bring friends. It takes a number of volunteers to put on a quality production."

   The meeting adjourned and everyone began to file out of the community room of the Honoria Methodist Church. Several people stopped to speak to Jane on the way out, sharing their experiences from high school plays and church pageants, a rather sheepish lust for applause glimmering in their eyes.

   "You were wonderful in Private Lives," a young housewife—Jane thought her bane was Cathy—said with shy admiration. Cathy was about her own age, but tended to speak to Jane with a reverence usually reserved for aging heroes. "It's my favorite soap—and I saw every one of the episodes you were in."

   "Thank you. I enjoyed playing the part."

   "How could you give it all up to move back to Honoria?" Cathy asked in open bewilderment. "I've only lived here for a couple of years and sometimes I get so bored I could scream."

   Jane chuckled. "I guess you could say I got home sick. Besides, I was ready for a change. Even constant activity can become tedious after a while."

   "I could use a little excitement, myself."

   "You should definitely audition for a part in whatever play we choose," Jane encouraged, guessing that Cathy would perform very well. "It would certainly be a new challenge for you."

   "I'll do that. Thanks."

*A/N: Sorry, this part is a bit short. Feeling a little under the weather. My brains not functioning well. I'll make it up on the succeeding chapters. Please don't forget to subscribe and vote. 😘