E I G H T E E N

He looks so precious standing there in my living room, his bashful expression never failing to impress me

He looks so precious standing there in my living room, his bashful expression never failing to impress me. But there's something else lying beneath the surface, something that I recognize from my past.

Insecurity.

Apprehension.

He's second guessing himself.

I can't have that.

Compared to Kai, Darius is equivalent to shit on the bottom of my fucking shoe.

Essentially worthless.

I move my hands from his face and let them travel down to his soft chest, lingering there and making eye contact.

"Follow me, Kai."

I swiftly turn around and lead him into the kitchen, pulling out a chair and nodding toward him to take a seat. Like the obedient little puppy he is, he follows my instruction and sits at the table without making a sound.

He's usually shy, but there's something about this particular silence that feels stale.

I don't like it.

I sigh and walk toward the kitchen to pull out the roast duck I prepared from the oven. I slice the pieces in silence, and start to reach for the mashed sweet potatoes when I hear his soft footsteps approaching.

Without looking back at him, I continue separating the breasts and carefully arranging them onto each plate. A scoop of mashed sweet potatoes on each plate.

"C-can I help?"

I turn to look at him and almost swoon. He's softly biting his bottom lip and watching me arrange the plates with a glint in his eye that looks so warm and welcoming that I can barely restrain myself from mounting him like a fucking horse.

I send him a soft smile, "No, Kai. Go sit down."

He sighs softly; I can tell that he wants to help, he probably wants to feel useful after the run in with Darius.

But I have different plans for him.

I hear him walk out of the kitchen and finish serving the sweet mashed potatoes. I pour some maple syrup I bout from the farmers market onto the sweet potatoes and top it with some thyme. I walk to the dining room and set the plates down, then walk back to the kitchen. I pour myself a glass of pinot noir, and a glass of ginger ale for Kai.

He's sitting at the dining table patiently when I return, and it brings a smile on my face. I set down the glass in front of him before taking a seat myself.

I glance at Kai while taking a slow sip of my wine.

"Th-this looks delicious."

I smile at the compliment, setting the glass down and resting my chin in my hands, focusing all my attention on him.