CH. FOURTEEN | What Gets You Hurt

*heyyyyyy...... it's been a while.... how y'all been? it's a little bit past my 1 year with this book but hooray!*

             "OH HOW LONG IT'S BEEN since I've seen your face." Y/N's voice cooed lovingly, crossing her arms as she stepped closer towards the bright crystal. "Hard to imagine that after all this time, you've been stuck underground while I've been out and about dealing with my own things."

Five years.

Five years since the two have seen each other, and the differences between both of their facial features from then were astounding. All of their childlike appearances vanished into more mature features. It was something to get used to indeed.

Had Annie seen her for the first time right now, especially where she was in the world, would she be getting a scolding more fierce than that back home.

"I wonder.. can you hear me? Possibly since your crystal is hollow. Sound can travel through it. I remember going through your hardening techniques." Y/N spoke, sitting criss cross on the floor with her hands in her lap. A loud sigh escapes her lips as her eyes continued to focus on Annie.

"You're probably wondering about what I'm doing here. I even question it sometimes. Do you think I've done the right thing, Annie? I trust your judgement so be honest with me. It was hard finding my way over here, but soon enough I was too attached to leave this place." Y/N's voice ached, coming clean to her childhood friend whom never expected her to end up here. Her thoughts raced through her mind, debating whether or not she should tell her the truth.

"I've struggled, wondering just whether or not he would agree. If only he knew what I would go through just to grant my freedom along with his. I'm willing to get this all over with, even if it means seeing him one last time. His life has more value than mine. I was meant to be nothing but a weapon."

"I've been trying to convince myself to just forget about him, but it never works. It's like, he's purposefully staying engraved in my mind, my number one thought. Is this normal? Is this what's supposed to happen?"

"Tell me, Annie, did you know about my secret? Did all of you know? How many long years did you have to carry the burden of realizing that your friend was someone she wasn't? How much does it hurt to hear my voice in front of you like this, right now?"

Y/N was tired of pretending, and if Annie was allowed out of her crystal, she would sense it. only to encase her in her strong yet loving arms. Her embrace was warm and welcoming, taking all of her worries away in a flash. She found comfort in her arms, rather than anyone else. Her presence made her warm inside, and she was more than willing to listen to whatever was bothering her.

"My life ever since you guys left me alone has been one hell of a ride. I worked so hard for my rank, I strained myself day and night only to realize no one actually cared about my accomplishments. What if I had stayed in Marley? Would it had been worth it? Had Marley even cared about my well-being from the start?"

Y/N continued her rant, cheeks growing hot as she vented her heart out as it pleaded. Words fell off her tongue as the lights glimmered across the room. The air grew tense, had it only been her and her ill dropped tone echoing through the stone corridor. Small wisps of her breathing and the crackles of the flame from the candle sitting on it's ledge could be heard.

To Y/N, it was like the pounding of her heart could be felt from miles away. The silence was deafening, let alone the echo of her withered voice.

"I'm exhausted, Annie. I'm tired of putting this whole facade on. I had one wish yet it was taken right from me the minute I had reached that tent. Why? Just why had it been me instead of anyone else? I am simply here to exist and serve. Not to bring pride. Just to protect. You must know. I know that you know."