Who Are You Again?

Steve manages to break into the hydra base without raising an alarm. He knows that it was a good idea that he went alone since he was able to slip in unnoticed.

He sees there are some guards standing near some cages and takes them out.

He looks down into the pit and tosses the keys down to the prisoners. They look up at him in confusion.

"Who are you supposed to be?" A man asks.

"I'm Captain America," Steve replies.

"I beg your pardon?" A man with a French accent says.

Steve doesn't have time for questions so he quickly helps free them from their cages.

He looks around, hoping to find Bucky but his hope falls when he can't find him in the crowd.

"Is there anybody else? I'm looking for a Sergeant James Barnes," Steve says.

"There's an isolation ward in the factory but no one's ever come back from it," a man says.

Steve knows that it's unlikely but Bucky might still be alive. He has to go check.

"All right. The tree line is northwest, 80 yards past the gate. Get out fast and give em' hell. I'll meet you guys in the clearing with anybody else I find," Steve says.

"Wait. You know what you're doing?" A man asks.

"Yeah. I've knocked out Adolf Hitler over 200 times," Steve says.

The men look at each other in confusion as Steve runs off.

Steve runs down the hallway until he hears some groans.

He enters the room and sees Bucky strapped to the table.

He can hear Bucky mumbling and Steve thinks he's saying Lizzie's name.

"Ellie... home... Jaime," Bucky mumbles.

When Steve walks over, Bucky is staring at the ceiling, unseeing.

"Bucky?" Steve says.

He doesn't respond to his name or even seem to notice Steve.

"Oh my God," Steve says.

Steve reaches down and rips the restraints off of Bucky.

"Is that..." Bucky starts.

"It's me. It's Steve," he responds.

"Steve," Bucky says with a smile.

He is clearly still out of it but Steve is glad that Bucky recognized him.

"Come on," Steve says.

He helps haul Bucky to his feet. Luckily once Bucky is standing, he is a little more coherent.

"I thought you were dead," Steve says.

Bucky looks Steve up and down in confusion. He has been hallucinating recently but he has gotten a lot better at telling the difference between hallucination and reality. Was he losing that too?

"I thought you were smaller," Bucky says.

Steve gets a quick look at the map of the other hydra locations before dragging Bucky out.

"Come on," Steve says.

The longer that Bucky is up, the more he accepts that this is real.

"What happened to you?" Bucky asks.

"I joined the army," Steve says.

"Did it hurt?" Bucky asks.

It reminds Steve of how Lizzie's first question after seeing the new him was to ask if he was okay.