Chapter twenty-three - Demoted

Dream followed Sapnap through the royal courtyard. Sapnap was asking if Dream knew how the war started, And Dream couldn't help but laugh.

"What's so funny?" Sapnap threw Dream a questioning look.

"Oh, nothing." Dream shrugged nonchalantly.

Sapnap squinted his eyes at Dream, "You're hiding something... Spill it!" He pointed an accusing finger at Dream.

Dream snickered to himself, obviously enjoying seeing Sapnap suffer. "I'm not sure if I should say."

"Come on dude! I've been your best friend since we were babies. You're legally obligated to tell me!"

"Promise you won't tell anyone?"

"I promise to take it to my grave. Now, what is it?!" Sapnap snapped

"I may or may have not started this war." Dream stated, walking past Sapnap and into the commander's office.

"What?!" Sapnap followed after him. The commander's office was spacious and luxurious. It cared the aroma of a grandparent's house (If your grandparent's house smelled like a pine tree with a hint of mold) There were big old heavy books on all the bookcases and an oval desk in the middle of the room. The Commander was sitting at his desk. He looked lost in thought and very focused. Dream took a seat next to the desk. Sapnap opted to stand awkwardly in the corner.

 Sapnap opted to stand awkwardly in the corner

- The office

Dream cleared his throat, "Aham, you called for me, Commander."

The Commander instantly looked up and a wide grin made it cross his face. "Dream! It's been too long! I've missed seeing you on the training ground. How is the Prince treating you? Are you bored out of your mind yet?" He gave a hearty chuckle

"No, quite the opposite. I've really been enjoying my time working for the Prince." Dream smiled fondly, remembering all the good times he'd had with the pretty prince.

"That's funny I didn't take you for the guarding type, you always wanted to be in the middle of the action."

That was true, Dream would hate to stand guard at a door for hours on end. But that's not what Dream did. He got to sit, talk, cuddle, and get to truly know the Prince. He was kind, sweet and lovely. He had a heart of gold, he was funny and smart. Not to mention he was drop-dead gorgeous! He was the whole package deal. And Dream considered himself incredibly lucky and blessed to have him in his life. Dream was willing to do anything to keep George in his life. Hence why there was a war happening.

"Anyway, I called you in here under direct orders from the King. You are no longer the Prince's personal knight. We need all our best men fighting in this war. And, Dream, you are our best. So welcome back to the team!" The Commander grinned. "You probably needed a break from standing around anyway. Can't have you getting rusty on us."

Dream sat there in shock. There was no way... You have to be kidding... He didn't want to fight in this stupid war. All he wanted was to stand by George's side. To be there for him. To love him and protect him. How could the King do this? How was Dream going to survive being away from George for so long? How long would it even be? Dream started to panic.

Dream looked as pale as a ghost. The Commander seemed to notice, "Um, Dream, are you okay? What's wrong?"

"I-i can't fight in this war." He said, trying to control his breathing. Sapnap walked up behind him and placed a comforting hand on Dream's shoulder.

Dream gave him a weak smile.

The Commander let out a sigh, "You don't have a choice, Dream. The King has given strict orders. You can't go against Him."

"But when the war is over?"

"You will go back to being the Prince's personal knight. If that is what you want. You are a very talented fighter though, so I'd wish you would reconsider."

"So the sooner the war is over the sooner I can go back to the Prince?" Dream was ready to speedrun this war.

"Yes, that's correct." The Commander confirmed. You could see the disappointment in his eyes.

Dream stood up and started stretching his arms, "Alright, let's get going!"

"Right now?" Sapnap asked.

"The sooner this is over the better. Don't you want to see Karl again?" Dream tilted his head.

Sapnap's cheeks reddened, "Of course I would."

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's win this war!"

The Commander beamed, "That's the spirit!"

---------------------------------------------------------

George entered the throne room worriedly. As soon as he was fulling in the room and king's messenger closed the door behind him. George quickly noticed that there were no guards around. He was alone with the King. He was alone with his father.

"You called for me?" George looked up at the King's face but it was hidden in the shadows.

"What have you done, George." His voice was low yet loud.

George felt his stomach turn, "Whatever do you mean?" George wasn't sure what to do, does he act dumb, or tell him the truth? He already knew about the war, but what else did he know?

"Wrong answer." The king walked out from behind the shadows. revealing his hideous scowl. "You and your little knight decided to play dirty."

"What are you insinuating?" George could now clearly see that his father was holding a whip. He gulped.

"Stop lying to me boy! One of my messengers saw you and your dumb knight challenge King Quackity to a duel! And for what? You're heart? That wasn't your choice to make, you are my puppet, you do whatever I tell you! And now because of you and your reckless actions our whole country is at war! You are useless. I should just kill you here and now! Get it over with." He hit the floor with the whip. "But I won't. For you are still useful to me."

George was shaking.

"You are going to apologize to King Quackity and marry him."

George shook his head, "N-no, i-i won't..."

"Wot?!" His tune was frustrated and disgusted.

"I-i can't m-marry him. He's m-mean and rude." George hugged himself. He felt so small the weak.

"As if I give a fuck." The King whipped him. George closed his eyes and flinched, letting out a little shriek.

"You will marry him! It's not like your boyfriend will be around much longer."

George looked up puzzled. "What do you mean?"

"That knight of yours that you are so fond of. what was his name? Dream, I think? Yes, that's it. I sent him to fight in the front lines. I plan to work him endlessly. And if he doesn't die on the battlefield, I'll be sure to kill him myself. After all, he did start this war. I'm certain no one would object if I executed him over that." He smiled to himself.

"You c-can't be serious? Y-you'd kill one of your best knights j-just because of me?" George choked out.

"I thought I made that clear already when I killed that little girl in front of you. What was her name again? Nessa? No that's not right..."

George couldn't take it anymore, He threw a punch and hit his father in the jaw. "DON'T YOU DARE EVER TALK ABOUT HER!" Hot tears were now running down his face.

The King took a step back slightly shocked, But then he started laughing. His face seemed to twist and he spat out some blood. "Two can play at that game, Georgie~"

He pulled out the whip and smiled.