Muichiro Tokito |Once Upon a Dream

It was a disaster, demon slayers lay unconscious and injured in the ground, the remaining demon slayer busily running around to tend to the injured.

you did defeat the upper demon but at what cost?

everything was so fuzzy, the sun was already peaking at the horizon as you mindlessly wandered around, everyone passing by you hurriedly to wherever they were going, minding their own business. the aftermath of the gruesome battle that took place lingering in the place and it sends a bad pit in your stomach.

Standing in the middle of that disaster, your eyes meet mint green eyes, devoid of life and emotion. and to your surprised, a little sparkle emits in his eyes when he realizes you were looking at him.

You and Muichiro were never close, but you're not that distant too. more like acquaintances who only talk whenever necessary. during meetings, in which you only meet each other, he just seats there blankly, head somewhere in the cloud.

and you didn't care, it's not like you're all required to talk to each other or get to know one another. only a few words were exchanged between you two, so you were surprised when he walked towards you.

"how-", he begins, a rather dejected and solemn look on his face. "-you can see me?"

you rose a brow at him in confusion, not following what he was saying.

"is that supposed to be a joke?" you responded, just now noticing the dried bloodstains on his uniform, some bruises, and cuts on his visible skin.

but before he can answer, your question was answered when a demon slayer hurriedly carrying a medical kit, walks right through him, Muchiro completely unfazed while you unconsciously steps back.

you gulp before meeting his eyes, "you--you're a ghost?"

Muichiro rolled his eyes at you like you just stated the obvious. of course, your first instinct is to panic, your words got stuck in your throat, your body stops moving, freezing on the stop as your heartbeat rapidly in your heart.

Muichiro notices the change in your demur, your pale skin, quivering lips, and your frozen body. he can't help but feel disbelief but the mere thought of you scared of a ghost somehow was amusing to him.

"you kill demons on daily basis, how can you get scared by a ghost," he said, lips twitching upward at the irony.

"Tokito-san, this is not a laughing matter" you blurted out but immediately lowered down your voice, slightly concerned about what would others think if they saw you talking alone.

"if you're a ghost...then that means... you..you're d-"

"I'm dead, yeah" he finishes nonchalantly, shrugging it off, earning a scowl from you. maybe seeing a ghost is not that bad or maybe it's because it was Muichiro, but gradually you felt yourself calming down.

"How can you take this lightly, you're dead" you sadly whisper, feeling sad for the mist pillar, and for some reason, you don't even remember what happened, your memories hazy. you just woke up and everything was already a disaster. 

"I had time to process" he weakly whispers, his words riding in the wind as he turned to the side, gaze softening at the sight. you followed after his line of gaze, your own eyes softening too at the sight of the surviving demon slayers accompanying the civilians you all manage to save.

"I'm not going to regret laying down my life for my friends and others"

At that moment, you felt like you understood a little bit of him.

The next day, you and Muichiro were seating in front of each other, questions after questions just arising rather than being answered. like if he's dead then why is his soul still around and why the hell can you see him?!