Bloodied Tiles

This wasn't Laurie's night. Not a night she'd like to commit to memory, because she knew the memory would just eat away at he for years to come. She was a bloody and broken mess. Covered bruised with several stitched up gashes decorations her face and torso. Her sandy blonde hair was still partially stained with her own blood.

Each time she moved, it felt like knives sliding over her skin. She struggled to breath through fractured ribs. All she could do was lazily gaze out the window and into the night, wondering if she'd live. At this point, she wasn't sure if she minded dying. After all, she'd already lost nearly everyone she cared about mere hours earlier. Everyone except Annie.

Earlier on this hellish night, a masked madman stormed at least 4 houses in quick succession and butchered everyone he could get his hands on. Annie, Laurie's best friend since kindergarten, was almost added to that monster's list of victims. Laurie found her naked from the waist up in the living room of her neighbors house, mutilated and barely clinging to life, with the corpse of her boyfriend hanging from the ceiling merely feet away.

At the moment, Laurie and Annie weren't looking so alive. Although, they looked more alive than Laurie's parents. At least 8 people were left in puddles of their own blood tonight and her parents, Mason and Connie Strode, weren't lucky enough to be excluded. Their faces were unrecognizable. The savage nature of the attacks seemed practically incapable of being administered by a human. The man hunting her that same night that put her in the hospital definitely didn't look human when she saw his eyes.

Gruesome images filled with tears, blood and screams flashed in her mind against her will. She tightly shut her dull blue eyes to stop herself from crying, but that only let her see the nightmarish images more vividly. Images of the town "Boogyman". Eventually, she tried to take a different approach and opened her eyes. She forced her gaze away from the window, away from the storming void outside and fixed her eyes on Annie.

Her dark brown hair was a mess and, similar to her own, was dirty with drying blood. Her face had more stitches than Laurie's and she had a cast wrapped around her right leg and left arm where they were forcefully bent the wrong way. She was a mess just as much as Laurie was. Physically, at least. But at least she was alive. They both were.

They still had a chance. She watched the steady rise and fall of Annie's chest as she breathed and used that image to remind herself that this didn't have to be the end of her world. She still had reasons to live, to not give up. One of the biggest ones: her parents wouldn't want that. They'd want her to be a fighter.

Unfortunately, she was in no shape to fight off the shadowy figure she was now noticing creeping into the room. The same figure that the slaughtered victims of the night saw. The mask tattered and the eye sockets black as the pits of Hell, it's gaze gradually moving to and from the array of patients confined to their hospital beds.

She watched in silent terror from across the room as the Boogyman slowly walked to the patient closest to the door, lazily dragging an axe along the tile floor behind him. His body language conveyed no emotion. No anger, no fear, nothing you'd expect to see in a normal person.

The female patient he approached was too dazed by the morphine in her system to notice Myers until the moment just before he brought the axe down, impaling her through the abdomen with the handle rather than the blade. The poor girl attempted to fend Myers off, but the wound to her midsection rendered her into shock and negated any capacity to fight the adrenaline may have given.

Removing the axe, Myers stabbed down into the girls stomach three more times, quickly. Her body jerked and twitched each time the weapon was driven through and, after the third time, she became motionless. Laurie desperately wanted to scream for help but she was too weak from her injuries. All she could do was gasp and groan as Myers killed five more patients, alternating between using the blade and the handle of the axe, leaving a trail of bloody footprints and puddles until he arrived at Annie's bedside.

The brunette stirred awake slowly as Myers simply stared at her, tilting his head like some curious animal trying to figure out the best place to strike it's prey first. It seemed like he took the fearful look in Annie's eyes incentive to strike. It was only when Myers prepared to bring the axe down on Annie that Laurie finally found her voice.

"NOOOO!"

She could tell from the brief glace towards her that the killer heard her, but he paid little mind, adding Annie to the crimson mess of bodies piling up in the room.

The sound of Laurie's alarm clock ripped her out of the nightmare and left her violently gasping in her bed, covered in sweat and with tears dripping from her eyes. After regaining her composure, she brought her hand down onto the switch to kill the annoying buzzing, but aside from that she didn't move, staring upward at the fan rotating lazily on the ceiling.

After maybe ten minutes, the sound of the house's other occupants reached her ears.

"Annie, can you go check on Laurie and make sure she's up. I don't want her getting in trouble with her boss."

Sheriff Lee Brackett's voice was muffled through the door.

"Yeah, sure Dad."

His daughter replied. Moments later the door to Laurie's bedroom slid open and Annie poked her head through the gap.

"Hey, Laur, you up?"

Laurie turned her head to face Annie as she begrudgingly forced herself from the bed, giving Annie a half-hearted nod. She stilled herself for the day to come, thanking whatever higher power there might be that it nothing more than a nightmare. And hoping it stayed that way.