Chapter 1

When Xia Lin looked up, he found that he had reached the door of his house.

The door is closed tightly.

He remembered that today is Song Yan's third day on a business trip. According to the plan, he should return in two days.

Xia Lin stood quietly outside the door with cold hands and feet and a dazed expression. The medical certificate pinched in his hand was so heavy that he could not lift his hand to open the door.

Even if he enters the house, he will not see Song Yan and no one would come to comfort or hug him.

Xia Lin didn't know how long he was in a trance, but finally he took out the key and opened the door in a slow motion.

Unexpectedly, as soon as he entered the door, a choking smoke rushed towards him. Xia Lin coughed a few times subconsciously. 

When he fixed his gaze, he found that Song Yan was sitting silently on the sofa in the living room with his head down and half a cigarette in his hand. His whole body is covered in the haze of the smoke and cigarette butts in front of him were scattered everywhere.

Xia Lin was stunned for a moment before he came back to his senses. He subconsciously hid the hand holding the medical certificate behind him. He hadn't figured out how to tell Song Yan about it and he didn't want to see Song Yan feel sorry for him.

"Why did you come back early?" He changed to a relaxed tone and walked to the window. "You smoked so many cigarettes and didn't open the window to ventilate."

"Stop." Song Yan slowly raised his head to look at him and spoke in a deep voice.

Xia Lin suddenly stopped. Song Yan's face was dark and gloomy at the moment, showing uncontrollable anger.

"What's the matter?" He lowered his volume and walked towards Song Yan. "Work is not going well?"

Song Yan stood up abruptly and stared at Xia Lin.

Xia Lin's alert posture showed through his whole body, apparently refusing Song Yan's approach.

"Guess who I saw when I went to City C this time?"

"Who?"

"Yu Luotong."

Xia Lin's breathing suddenly paused.

"Why?" Song Yan continued to stare at him with a mocking smile on his face. "Is it surprising? In this lifetime, I was able to find Luotong again."

Xia Lin's heartbeat stopped for a second, and then heard his own voice asking hollowly, "Luotong . . . has he returned to China?"

"Sure enough, you knew he had gone abroad."

Song Yan's face revealed a trace of hatred. "Why did you lie to me that Luotong was dead? Were you so eager for him to be dead?"

"I was forced to..."

Slap!

Xia Lin hadn't finished speaking when he was suddenly interrupted by Song Yan's slap. His sight temporarily went dark and his body was shaking so he quickly reached out to the wall to stabilize his figure.

Enduring the fiery pain on his cheeks, he steadied his breath and waited for his sight to regain clarity before slowly saying, "You...can you listen to me and let me finish?"

Song Yan sneered, "Do you think I would be so stupid to believe you again?"

"..."

Another wave of dizziness hit Xia Lin. He closed his eyes and swallowed the words that he wanted to say.

"You have nothing more to say?" The smile on Song Yan's face was cold. "Xia Lin, I have treated you well all these years and I even thought about living with you for the rest of my life. But how did you treat me? You lied to me that Luo Tong was dead. You watched me suffer for so long. Now, you finally have me by your side. You won. Are you satisfied?"

Xia Lin closed his eyes again. "Song Yan, love is not about winning or losing. I admit that I took advantage of the situation when you were in pain, but it was not my intention to deceive you that Luotong is dead."

"Enough!" Song Yan interrupted him coldly. "You are so pretentious. I feel sick every time I look at you!"

He hurriedly walked towards the door. Xia Lin caught up with him in a panicked expression and grabbed his arm pitifully, like a pet about to be abandoned.

"Song Yan, where are you going?"

Song Yan shook his hand away without looking back.

"You have one day to move out of my house!"

". . . Song Yan?" Xia Lin's face paled a little bit.

"I don't want to see you again. Please disappear from my world." Song Yan walked out and slammed the door.

Xia Lin stood there in a daze for a while. Tears of despair gradually overflowed.

"Yu Luotong, you were determined to die and disappear, why did you bother to come back now?"

He somewhat hated Yu Luotong's rebelliousness, but even more, he hated himself who cannot do anything at the moment.

He took a few steps back and sat down in the corner, letting tears flow silently, sitting until dusk fell.

Finally, he remembered the medical certificate.

He wiped away his tears and looked down at the crumpled medical certificate in his hand. His emotions gradually calmed down.

"This is it." He exhaled heavily and muttered to himself, "It's okay . . ."

He hadn't thought about how to tell Song Yan about this but God had already made a decision for him.

In fact, whether Yu Luotong returns to China or not, he and Song Yan are destined to not grow old together in their lives.

That being the case, it's better to let himself free. Thinking of this, Xia Lin crumpled up the medical certificate and threw it into the wastebasket.

He opened the window to dissipate the smell of smoke in the room and cleaned the ashtray on the coffee table. He folded the clothes hanging on the balcony and labeled the food in the refrigerator.

Then, he packed up his suitcase and placed the key of the house back on top of the shoe cabinet.

Finally, he took one last look at the place that carried his and Song Yan's memories for several years, then opened the door and walked out.